Deformable Image Registration and Intensity Correction of Cardiac Perfusion MRI
Dynamic contrast Magnetic Resonance myocardial perfusion imaging has evolved into an accurate technique for the diagnosis of coronary artery disease. In this manuscript, we introduce and evaluate the performance of a non-rigid joint multi-level image registration and intensity correction algorithm on a common dataset. An objective functional is formed for which the corresponding Hessian and Jacobian is computed and employed in a multi-level Gauss-Newton minimization approach. In this paper, our experiments are based on elastic regularization on the transformation and total variation on the intensity correction. Our preliminary validations suggest that the registration scheme provides suitable motion correction if the parameters in the algorithm are properly tuned.
KeywordsImage registration Inverse problems Intensity correction Optimization Multi-level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Buonaccorsi, G.A., O’Connor, J.P.B., Caunce, A., Roberts, C., Cheung, S., Watson, Y., Davies, K., Hope, L., Jackson, A., Jayson, G.C., Parker, G.J.M.: Tracer kinetic model-driven registration for dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI time-series data. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 58(5), 1010–1019 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ardeshir Goshtasby, A.: 2-D and 3-D Image Registration. Wiley Press, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Hajnal, J., Hawkes, D., Hill, D.: Medical Image Registration. CRC Press (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Lausch, A., Ebrahimi, M., Martel, A.: Image registration for abdominal dynamic contrast-enhance magnetic resonance images. In: 8th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, pp. 561–565 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Modersitzki, J.: (FAIR) Flexible Algorithms for Image Registration. SIAM (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Nocedal, J., Wright, S.J.: Numerical Optimization, 2nd edn. Springer (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Vogel, C.R.: Computational Methods for Inverse Problems. SIAM (2002)Google Scholar