ImageMap - Visually Browsing Millions of Images
In this paper we showcase ImageMap - an image browsing system to visually explore and search millions of images from stock photo agencies and the like. Similar to map services like Google Maps users may navigate through multiple image layers by zooming and dragging. Zooming in (or out) shows more (or less) similar images from lower (or higher) levels. Dragging the view shows related images from the same level. Layers are organized as an image pyramid which is build using image sorting and clustering techniques. Easy image navigation is achieved because the placement of the images in the pyramid is based on an improved fused similarity calculation using visual and semantic image information. Our system also allows to perform searches. After starting an image search the user is automatically directed to a region with suiting results. This paper describes how to efficiently construct an easily navigable image pyramid even if the total number of images is huge.
KeywordsExploration Image Browsing Visualization Navigation CBIR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barthel, K.U.: Automatic Image Sorting using MPEG-7 Descriptors. In: ICOB 2005, Workshop on Immersive Communication and Broadcast Systems (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, J., Bouman, C., Dalton, J.: Similarity pyramids for browsing and organization of large image databases. In: SPIE/IST Conf. on Human Vision and Electronic Imaging III (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Heesch, D.: A survey of browsing models for content based image retrieval. Multimedia Tools Appl. 40(2) (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Jing, Y., Rowley, H., Rosenberg, C., Wang, J., Zhao, M., Covell, M.: Google image swirl, a large-scale content-based image browsing system. In: IEEE ICME (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Qiu, S., Wang, X., Tang, X.: Visual Semantic Complex Network for Web Images. In: ICCV 2013 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, J., Jia, L., Hua, X.: Interactive browsing via diversified visual summarization for image search results. Multimedia Systems, 17 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Schoeffmann, K., Ahlstrom, D.: Similarity-Based Visualization for Image Browsing Revisited. In: ISM, pp. 422–427. IEEE Computer Society (2011)Google Scholar