Automatic Recognition of Microcalcifications in Mammography Images through Fractal Texture Analysis
Mammography images are widely used for detection of microcalcifications (MCs), which constitute the early stage of breast cancer. Moreover, these images allow the medical specialist to perform a timely diagnosis and to prevent complications in patients. Automatic identification of MCs in mammography images may be useful as a decision support given by a specialist. In this paper, we construct a mammography image database with medical validation and expert labeling. The test subjects are from a local population located in the Eje cafetero, Colombia. Also, we present a methodology for automatic recognition of microcalcifications based on segmentation with fractal texture analysis (SFTA) and a support vector machine (SVM). For a comparison framework with the state of the art, we compare our methodology with the local binary patterns (LBP) method, that is widely applied in digital images processing. Results show that SFTA methodology for recognition of MCs achieves an accuracy over 92.5% improving significatively when compared to LBP. Also, our database satisfies the epidemiological parameters to represent a local population.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Local Binary Pattern Digital Mammography Automatic Recognition Mammography Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Angarita, F., Acuna, A.: Cncer de seno: de la epidemiología al tratamiento. Univerisdad Javeriana 349, 344–372 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Sukhamwang, N., Muttarak, M., Gravano, L., Kongmebhol, P.: Breast calcifications: which are malignant? Singapore Med J. 50, 907–913 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Sucklin, J., Parker, J., Dance, D., Astley, S., Hutt, I., Boggis, C., Ricketts, I., Stamatakis, E., Cerneaz, N., Kok, S., Taylor, P., Betal, D., Savage, J.: The mammographic images analysis society digital mammogram database. In: International Congress Series, pp. 375–378 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Heath, M., Bowyer, K., Kopans, D., Kegelmeyer, P.J., Moore, R., Chang, K., Munishkumaran, S.: Current status of the digital database for screening mammography. In: Karssemeijer, N., Thijssen, M., Hendriks, J., van Erning, L. (eds.) Digital Mammography. Computational Imaging and Vision, vol. 13, pp. 457–460. Springer Netherlands (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Bovik, A. (ed.): Handbook of Image and Video Processing, vol. 2. Academic Press (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, X.S., Xie, H.: Discriminant subspace learning for microcalcification clusters detection. Physics Procedia 24, Part C, 2237–2244 (2012), International Conference on Applied Physics and Industrial Engineering 2012Google Scholar
- 15.Costa, A., Humpire-Mamani, G., Traina, A.J.M.: An efficient algorithm for fractal analysis of textures. In: 2012 25th SIBGRAPI Conference on Graphics, Patterns and Images (SIBGRAPI), pp. 39–46 (August 2012)Google Scholar