Fast Mesh-Based Medical Image Registration
In this paper a fast triangular mesh based registration method is proposed. Having Template and Reference images as inputs, the template image is triangulated using a content adaptive mesh generation algorithm. Considering the pixel values at mesh nodes, interpolated using spline interpolation method for both of the images, the energy functional needed for image registration is minimized. The minimization process was achieved using a mesh based discretization of the distance measure and regularization term which resulted in a sparse system of linear equations, which due to the smaller size in comparison to the pixel-wise registration method, can be solved directly. Mean Squared Difference (MSD) is used as a metric for evaluating the results. Using the mesh based technique, higher speed was achieved compared to pixel-based curvature registration technique with fast DCT solver. The implementation was done in MATLAB without any specific optimization. Higher speeds can be achieved using C/C++ implementations.
KeywordsMedical image registration triangular mesh generation content adaptive mesh generation diffusion process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Modersitzki, J.: Numerical methods for image registration. OUP, Oxford (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Fluck, O., Vetter, C., Wein, W., Kamen, A., Preim, B., Westermann, R.: A survey of medical image registration on graphics hardware. Comput. Meth. Prog. Bio. 104(3), e45–e57 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Corvi, M., Nicchiotti, G.: Multiresolution image registration. In: EEE International Conference on Image Processing 1995, vol. 3, pp. 224–227. IEEE Press (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Popuri, K., Cobzas, D., Jagersand, M.: Fast FEM-based non-rigid registration. In: Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision (CRV) 2010. IEEE Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Xu, G.: Convergent discrete Laplace-Beltrami operators over triangular surfaces. In: Geometric Modeling and Processing 2004. IEEE Press (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Desbrun, M., Meyer, M., Schrder, P., Barr, A.H.: Implicit fairing of irregular meshes using diffusion and curvature flow. In: Proceedings of the 26th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, pp. 317–324. ACM Press/Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. (1999)Google Scholar