Statistical Estimation of Fluid Flow: An Image Restoration Approach
This paper focuses on Fluid Motion-Field Estimation from video data, which is a useful but challenging problem in environmental monitoring. Rivers are often monitored by flashy hydrographs that exhibit characteristic response times ranging from minutes to hours. In order to estimate the river discharge during a flush flood event, the temporary motion vector field of the river surface is needed. This paper presents a new approach in statistical estimation of fluid flow that calculates a local flow probability distribution function in the frequency domain. Our work improves upon the inefficiencies of spatial estimation of the auto-regressive STAR model and converts motion estimation into a restoration problem, where the local field can be computed fast in the frequency domain, while various natural constraints can be taken into account within the inversion strategy of the motion estimation process.
KeywordsRiver Flow Motion Vector Local Neighborhood Search Window Motion Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Delrieu, G., Ducrocq, V., Gaume, E., Nicol, J., Payrastre, O., Yates, E., Kirstetter, P.E., Andrieu, H., Ayral, P.A., Bouvier, C., Creutin, J.D., Livet, M., Anquetin, S., Lang, M., Neppel, L., Obled, C., du Chatelet, J.P., Saulnier, G.M., Walpersdorf, A., Wobrock, W.: The catastrophic flash-flood event of 8–9 September 2002 in the Gard region, France: a first case study for the Cévennes-Vivarais Mediterranean hydro-meteorological observatory. Journal of Hydrometeorology 6, 34–52 (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Meals, D.W., Dressing, S.A.: Surface water flow measurement for water quality monitoring projects. Tech Notes 3, 16 p., Developed for U.S. Environmental Protection Agency by Tetra Tech, Inc, Fairfax (March 2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Buchanan, T.J., Somers, W.P.: Discharge measurements at gaging stations. U.S. Geological Survey, Techniques of Water-Resources Investigations, Book 3, ch. A8Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou, L.: 3D Nonrigid Motion Analysis from 2D Images, PhD thesis, Dept. of Computer and Information Sciences, Univ. of Delaware (February 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Chang, J., Edwards, D., Yu, Y.: Statistical Estimation of Fluid Flow Fields. In: ECCV workshop on Statistical Methods in Video Processing, Copenhagen, pp. 91–96 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Szummer, M., Picard, R.W.: Temporal Texture Modeling. In: IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing (ICIP), Lausanne, Switzerland, vol. 3 (September 1996)Google Scholar