Former Students’ Views on the Usefulness of Conceptual Modeling Education
A big challenge for education and research in Requirements Engineering and Conceptual Modeling (RE/CM) is the need for much more empirical research about the use in practice of RE/CM, including the practical impact of CM education. Former students of RE/CM are potential prescriptors of the RE/CM concepts, methodologies and tools that they have learnt, but they are also conditioned by the current use of those same issues in practice. In this paper we focus on the views that former students of a RE/CM course have, now as young professionals, on the usefulness of the received CM education. We have surveyed over 70 former students to know their opinions on the usefulness of the education on a representative set of CM artifacts. Our results show that our former students find quite useful in general their received CM education, with different usefulness degrees for the various learned artifacts.
KeywordsConceptual modeling Education Practice Survey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bubenko, J.A.: Challenges in requirements engineering. In: 2nd IEEE International Symposium on Requirements Engineering, pp. 160–162. IEEE (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Milton, S.K., Rajapakse, J., Weber, R.: Conceptual modeling in practice: An evidence-based process-oriented theory. In: ICIAFs 2010, pp. 533–536. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Kirkpatrick, D.L.: Evaluating Training Programs: The Four Levels, 2nd edn. Berrett-Koehler Publishers, San Francisco (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Wever, A., Maiden, N.: What are the day-to-day factors that are preventing business analysts from effective business analysis? In: RE 2011, pp. 293–298. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.University of Idaho: 2006 survey of graduates classes of 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001. Technical report (2007), http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/ira/assess/grad_alum_survey/GAS%20UI%20Summary%202011-2012%20.pdf
- 7.Robertson, S.: Mastering the Requirements Process. Addison-Wesley (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.OMG. UML Superstructure v.2.4.1 (2011) http://www.omg.org/spec/UML
- 9.OMG. Object Constraint Language v.2.3.1 (2012), http://www.omg.org/spec/OCL
- 11.Jarke, M., Pohl, K.: Establishing visions in context: Towards a model of requirements processes. In: ICIS 1993, pp. 23–24 (1993)Google Scholar
- 13.Tort, A., Olivé, A., Pastor, J.A.: Survey on requirements engineering and conceptual modeling in practice. Technical report, Universitat Politécnica de Catalunya (2013), http://hdl.handle.net/2117/19768