A Multinational Study on Copyright Literacy Competencies of LIS Professionals
This paper presents findings from a multinational study on copyright literacy competencies of LIS (Library and Information Science) professionals. An online survey instrument was developed by the authors in order to collect data from professionals who work in cultural institutions such as libraries, archives and museums regarding their familiarity, knowledge, awareness, and opinions on copyright related issues. The survey garnered a total of 622 complete responses (148 from Bulgaria, 82 from Croatia, 311 from France and 81 from Turkey). Copyright competencies are getting more crucial for information professionals because managing and meeting copyright related challenges and trends will play a key role in shaping the future of the profession. The findings and conclusions are expected to help the LIS education community, experts of professional associations, managers and other specialists from cultural heritage institutions to discover gaps in copyright competencies of information professionals and take measures to fill those gaps.
KeywordsLIS education information literacy copyright literacy Bulgaria Croatia France Turkey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Developing a Library Copyright Policy: An eIFL Guide (2012), http://www.eifl.net/english-developing-library-copyright-policy
- 2.Copyright for Librarians: The Esential Handbook. Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University (ed). eiFL, Utrecht (2012) Google Scholar
- 3.Treaty Proposal on Copyright Limitations and Exceptions for Libraries and Archives. Version 4.3 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Crews, K.: Copyright Law for Librarians and Educators. ALA, Chicago (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Jones, B.M.: Protecting Intellectual Freedom in Your Academic Library. ALA, Chicago (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Russell, C.: Complete Copyright: An Everyday Guide for Librarians. ALA, Chicago (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Vasileva, R.: Copyright Publications: Thematical Bibliography. Za bukvite-O pismeneh, Sofia (2013) (in Bulgarian) Google Scholar
- 9.Yankova, I., Vasileva, R., Stancheva, S., Miltenoff, P.: A Bibliographical Overview of “Copyright Literacy” as a Key Issue in Memory Institution Management. In: Kurbanoğlu, S., Grassian, E., Mizrachi, D., Catts, R., Špiranec, S. (eds.) ECIL 2013. CCIS, vol. 397, pp. 655–661. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar