A Metric for Functional Reusability of Services
Services are self-contained software components that can be used platform independent and that aim at maximizing software reuse. A basic concern in service oriented architectures is to measure the reusability of services. One of the most important qualities is the functional reusability, which indicates how relevant the task is that a service solves. Current metrics for functional reusability of software, however, have very little explanatory power and do not accomplish this goal.
This paper presents a new approach to estimate the functional reusability of services based on their relevance . To this end, it defines the degree to which a service enables the execution of other services as its contribution. Based on the contribution, relevance of services is defined as an estimation for their functional reusability. Explanatory power is obtained by normalizing relevance values with a reference service. The application of the metric to a service test set confirms its supposed capabilities.
Keywordsreusability metric semantic descriptions services functionality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Cheesman, J., Daniels, J.: UML components. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Choi, S.W., Kim, S.D.: A quality model for evaluating reusability of services in soa. In: Proceedings of the 10th IEEE Conference on E-Commerce Technology, pp. 293–298. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Mohr, F.: Estimating functional reusability of services. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Service Oriented Computing (ICSOC). IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Platenius, M.C., von Detten, M., Becker, S., Schäfer, W., Engels, G.: A survey of fuzzy service matching approaches in the context of on-the-fly computing. In: Proceedings of the 16th International ACM Sigsoft Symposium on Component-based Software Engineering, pp. 143–152. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Rotaru, O.P., Dobre, M.: Reusability metrics for software components. In: Proceedings of the 3rd ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications, p. 24. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Washizaki, H., Yamamoto, H., Fukazawa, Y.: A metrics suite for measuring reusability of software components. In: Proceedings of 5th Workshop on Enterprise Networking and Computing in Healthcare Industry, pp. 211–223. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar