Efficient Handwritten Numeral Recognition System Using Leaders of Separated Digit and RBF Network
In this paper an efficient method has been proposed to classify handwritten numerals using leader algorithm and Radial Basis Function network. Handwritten numerals are represented in matrix form and clusters with leaders are formed for each row of each digit separately. Every leader is with single target digit. Duplication patterns are avoided from the cluster leaders by combining those in a single pattern with target vectors having corresponding bits in on mode. Now resultant target vectors are with 10 bits corresponding to the number of digits considered for classification. Constructed leaders are trained using Radial Basis Function network. Experimental results show that the minimum number of patterns are enough for training compared to total patterns and it has been observed that convergency is fast during training. Also the number of resultant leaders after avoiding duplication patterns are less and the number of bits in each resultant pattern is 12.
KeywordsHandwritten numerals Radial basis function Clustering Leader algorithm Classification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Dhandra, B.V., Benne, R.G., Hangarge, M.: Kannada, Telugu, and Devanagari Handwritten Numeral Recognition with Probabilistic Neural Network: A Novel Approach. IJCA Special Issue on Recent Trends in Image Processing and Patten Recognition, 83–88 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Kumar, R., Goyal, M.K., Ahmed, P., Kumar, A.: Unconstrained Handwritten Numeral Recognition using Majority Voting Classifier. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Parallel Distributed and Grid Computing (PDGC), pp. 284–289 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Pal, U., Sharma, N., Wakabayashi, T., Kimura, F.: Handwritten Numeral recognition of Six Popular Indian Scripts. In: Ninth Int. Conf. on Document Analysis and Recognition, ICDAR 2007, vol. 2, pp. 749–753 (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Rajashekararadhya, S.V., Vanaja Ranjan, P.: Handwritten Numeral/Mixed Numerals Recognition of South-Indian Scripts: The Zone Based Feature Extraction Method. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology 7, 63–79 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Rajashekararadhya, S.V., Vanaja Ranjan, P.: Efficient Zone Based Feature Extraction Algorithm for Handwritten Numeral Recognition of Four Popular South Indian Scripts. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology 6, 1171–1181 (2008)Google Scholar