Digital Archive System with 3D Web Portal Interface
This paper addresses management issues in a multifaceted archaeological project, using a web-based archive system with a 3D user interface. The diverse specialties needed for driving the surveys and restoration work at the archaeological project and the fact that the team is composed of people of different nations means work may progress asynchronously, which can result in a failure to maintain the communications needed to ensure that everyone and everything is kept up to date. A mechanism is desirable for the spontaneous updating, accumulating and sharing of information on findings to better enable frequent discussions. The proposed system generates a 3D virtual copy of the field site that a user may explore and embed information by making an association with a physical object at a site over the Internet. Here we present the implementation scheme of the proposed system based on an on-going project at Mastaba Idout in Saqqara, Egypt.
KeywordsSaqqara Egypt digital archive database HTML5 WebGL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Suita, H., Akaris, A.I.M., Nishiura, T., Shouaiv, A.S.A., Yoneda, F.: The Restoration Project of The Burial Chamber of the Mastaba of Idout in Saqqara, Egypt. In: 9th International Congress of Egyptologists, vol. 14(Sec. 14), pp. 1741–1749 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Suita, H.: Institute for Conversation and Restoration of Cultural Properties Newsletter, No. 1 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Okamoto, Y.: Interactive Information Sharing System Using Large 3D Geometric Models. A Doctoral Thesis, The Graduate School of Information Science and Technology. The University of Tokyo (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.USA General Service Administration, BIM Guide Series, http://www.gsa.gov/bim
- 8.Zhou, W., Heesom, D., Tah, J.: A distributed virtual reality application framework for bimserver-based collaborative construction planning. In: 12th International Conference on Construction Applications of Virtual Reality (2013), Google Translate https://translate.google.com
- 9.Google Translate My Page, http://translate.google.com/manager/website/suggestions
- 10.Firth, C.M.: Excavations of the Service des Antiquités at Saqqara, Annales du Service des Antiquités de l’Egypte ASAE, 27 (1927)Google Scholar
- 11.Macramallah, R.: Le Mastaba d’Idout, Cairo (1935)Google Scholar