Combined Homogeneous Region Localization and Automated Evaluation of Radiation Dose Dependent Contrast-to-Noise Ratio in Dual Energy Abdominal CT
This study presents a homogeneous region localization technique combined with automated evaluation of radiation dose-dependent contrast-to-noise ratio in dual energy abdominal CT. Patient body size was calculated using region growing segmentation and used to estimate size-specific dose estimate, and contrast-to-noise ratio are automatically evaluated by using proposed technique. Contrast-to-noise ratio turned out to be similar between low and high tube potential for both pre- and post-contrast phases, while radiation dose is remarkably lower at 80 kVp. Low tube potential can be recommended to reduce radiation dose while maintaining contrast-to-noise.
KeywordsDual energy CT Homogeneous region localization CT noise level Contrast-to-noise ratio Size-specific dose estimate
- 1.Razak, H.R.A., Rahmat, S.M.S.S., Md Saad, W.M.: Effects of different tube potentials and iodine concentrations on image enhancement, contrast-to-noise ratio and noise in micro-CT images: a phantom study. Quant. Imaging Med. Surg. 3(5), 256–261 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Hough, D.M., Fletcher, J.G., Grant, K.L., Fidler, J.L., Yu, L., Geske, J.R., Carter, R.E., Raupach, R., Schmidt, B., Flohr, T., McCollough, C.H.: Lowering kilovoltage to reduce radiation dose in contrast-enhanced abdominal CT: initial assessment of a prototype automated kilovoltage selection tool. AJR Am. J. Roentgenol. 199(5), 1070–1077 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.AAPM Task Group 204: Size-specific dose estimates (SSDE) in pediatric and adult body CT examinations (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Flohr, T.G., McCollough, C.H., Bruder, H., Petersilka, M., Gruber, K., Süss, C., Grasruck, M., Stierstorfer, K., Krauss, B., Raupach, R., Primak, A.N., Küttner, A., Achenbach, S., Becker, C., Kopp, A., Ohnesorge, B.M.: First performance evaluation of a dual-source CT (DSCT) system. Eur Radiol. 16(2), 256–268 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Tang, K., Wang, L., Li, R., Lin, J., Zheng, X., Cao, G.: Effect of low tube voltage on image quality, radiation dose, and low-contrast detectability at abdominal multidetector CT: phantom study. J. Biomed. Biotechnol., 130169 (2012)Google Scholar