A New Tube Detection Filter for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms
Tube detection filters (TDFs) are useful for segmentation and centerline extraction of tubular structures such as blood vessels and airways in medical images. Most TDFs assume that the cross-sectional profile of the tubular structure is circular. This assumption is not always correct, for instance in the case of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs). Another problem with several TDFs is that they give a false response at strong edges. In this paper, a new TDF is proposed and compared to other TDFs on synthetic and clinical datasets. The results show that the proposed TDF is able to detect large non-circular tubular structures such as AAAs and avoid false positives.
KeywordsTube detection Aortic aneurysm
- 3.Frangi, A., Niessen, W., Vincken, K., Viergever, M.: Multiscale vessel enhancement filtering. Med. Image Comput. Comput.-Assist. Interv. 1496, 130–137 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Bauer, C., Bischof, H.: Edge based tube detection for coronary artery centerline extraction. Insight J. (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Bauer, C., Bischof, H., Beichel, R.: Segmentation of airways based on gradient vector flow. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Pulmonary Image Analysis. MICCAI, pp. 191–201. Citeseer (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Bauer, C.: Segmentation of 3D tubular tree structures in medical images. Ph.D. thesis, Graz University of Technology (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Smistad, E., Lindseth, F.: Multigrid gradient vector flow computation on the GPU. Manuscript submitted for publication (2014)Google Scholar