A Social-Based Approach for Message Dissemination in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks
The spreading of messages in a vehicular network is an important task and finds many applications in Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS). A common problem to this direction is to select an appropriate set of vehicles that on behalf of a sender will further rebroadcast the message and reduce redundant retransmission. Of particular interest is the use of social inspired metrics to identify potent vehicles which can set the right path for the spreading of messages and cover a wide range of a vehicular network. In this work we propose a novel approach for selecting vehicles based on the Probabilistic Control Centrality (pCoCe), which accounts for the number of directed and diverse paths emanating from each individual vehicle. We evaluated our approach and compared with the standard IETF, Optimized Link State Routing Protocol (OLSR). Our experimental results show that pCoCe outperforms its competitor in various network conditions by at least 10%.
KeywordsMultipoint relays Broadcasting protocols Influential spreaders Vehicular ad hoc networks OLSR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Daraghmi, Y.A., Stojmenovic, I., Yi, C.W.: A taxonomy of data communication protocols for vehicular ad hoc networks, Mobile Ad Hoc Networking: Cutting Edge Directions pp. 517–544 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Vegni, A.M., Stramacci, A., Natalizio, E.: SRB: A selective reliable broadcast protocol for safety applications in VANETs. In: Proc. of Intl. Conf. on Selected Topics in Mobile & Wireless Networking (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Ni, S.Y., Tseng, Y.C., Chen, Y.S., Sheu, J.P.: The broadcast storm problem in a mobile ad hoc network. In: ACM/IEEE MOBICOM, pp. 151–162 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Tseng, Y.T., Jan, R.H., Chen, C., Wang, C.F., Li, H.H.: A vehicle-density-based forwarding scheme for emergency message broadcasts in VANETs. In: IEEE 7th International Conference on Mobile Adhoc and Sensor Systems pp. 703–708 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Jacquet, P., Muhlethaler, P., Clausen, T., Laouiti, A., Qayyum, A., Viennot, L.: Optimized link state routing protocol for ad hoc networks. In: IEEE International Multi topic Conference pp. 62–68 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Liu, Y.-Y., Slotine, J.-J., Barabasi, A.-L.: Control centrality and hierarhical structure in complex networks, PLOS One 7(9) (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Sommer, C., German, R., Dressler, F.: Bidirectionally coupled network and road traffic simulation for improved IVC analysis. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing 10(1) (2011)Google Scholar