AnaVANET: An Experiment and Visualization Tool for Vehicular Networks
The experimental evaluation of wireless and mobile networks is a challenge that rarely substitutes simulation in research works. This statement is even more evident in vehicular communications, due to the equipment and effort needed to obtain significant and realistic results. In this paper, key issues in vehicular experimental evaluation are analyzed by an evaluation tool called AnaVANET, especially designed for assessing the performance of vehicular networks. This software processes the output of well-known testing tools such as ping or iperf, together with navigation information, to generate geo-aware performance figures of merit both in numeric and graphical forms. Its main analysis capabilities are used to validate the good performance in terms of delay, packet delivery ratio and throughput of NEMO, when using a road-side segment based on IPv6 GeoNetworking.
KeywordsVehicular Ad-hoc Networks Experimental Evaluation Wireless Multihop Communication Network Mobility Visualization Tool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Perkins, C., Belding-Royer, E., Das, S.: Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing. RFC 3561 (Experimental) (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Clausen, T., Jacquet, P.: Optimized Link State Routing Protocol (OLSR). RFC 3626 (Experimental) (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Karp, B., Kung, H.T.: Gpsr: Greedy perimeter stateless routing for wireless networks. In: 6th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, MobiCom 2000, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, August 6-11, pp. 243–254. ACM / IEEE (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS); Vehicular Communications; Part 4: Geographical Addressing and Forwarding for Point-to-Point and Point-to-Multipoint Communications; Sub-part 1: Media-Independent Functionality, ETSI TS 102 636-4-1 V1.1.1 (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Perkins, C., Johnson, D., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6. RFC 6275 (Proposed Standard) (July 2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Devarapalli, V., Wakikawa, R., Petrescu, A., Thubert, P.: Network Mobility (NEMO) Basic Support Protocol. RFC 3963 (Proposed Standard) (January 2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Santa, J., Tsukada, M., Ernst, T., Mehani, O., Gómez-Skarmeta, F.: Assessment of vanet multi-hop routing over an experimental platform. Int. J. Internet Protocol Technology 4 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Tsukada, M., Jemaa, I.B., Menouar, H., Zhang, W., Goleva, M., Ernst, T.: Experimental evaluation for IPv6 over VANET geographic routing. In: IWCMC 2010: Proceedings of the 6th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, pp. 736–741. ACM (2010)Google Scholar