Experiments in the Application of Computer Vision for Ball and Event Identification in Indoor Sports
There is little evidence of thorough experimental research having been performed for the investigation of optimum computer vision algorithms suitable for table tennis umpire support systems and player performance analysis. The only practical way of evaluating and comparing such algorithms is to gather source video data from repeatable experiments in controlled conditions and pass multiple sequences through the same validated algorithms, techniques and processes. This paper presents a digest of software engineering issues, considerations and challenges observed as a direct result of performing over 250 experiments with computer vision and table tennis. Results demonstrate that variations in camera configuration have a direct impact on the success of a selected algorithm and that a comparison of algorithms against the source video data must be made for confirmation. Finally, determination of the location of the ball itself varies between algorithms and a parallel, non-obtrusive technology is required to provide baseline data.
Keywordsobject segmentation detection ball sports computer vision table tennis algorithm comparison
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wong, P.: Identifying table tennis balls from real match scenes using image processing and artificial intelligence techniques. J. Simul. Syst. Sci. Technol. 7 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Teachabarikiti, K., Chalidabhongse, T.H., Thammano, A.: Players tracking and ball detection for an automatic tennis video annotation. In: 11th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2010, pp. 2491–2494 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.ITTF, International Table Tennis Federation Handbook 2013-2014, 2013th–2014th edn. (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Turberville, J.: How fast does a Table Tennis ball really go? (2004), http://www.jayandwanda.com/tt/speed.html (accessed: September 13, 2014)
- 8.Mchugh, S.: Depth of Field Calculator. Cambridge in Colour (2014), http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dof-calculator.htm (accessed: July 14, 2014)
- 10.ITTF, The Laws of Table Tennis, in ITTF Handbook 2013 - 2014, ITTF, pp. 24–31 (2013)Google Scholar