A Virtual Coach for Active Ageing Based on Sentient Computing and m-health
As life expectancy increases it has become more necessary to find ways to support healthy ageing. A number of active ageing initiatives are being developed nowadays to foster healthy habits in the population. This paper presents our contribution to these initiatives in the form of a conversational agent that acts as a coach for physical activities. The agent can be developed as an Android app running on smartphones and coupled with cheap widely available sport sensors in order to provide meaningful coaching. It can be employed to prepare exercise sessions, provide feedback during the sessions, and to discuss the results after the exercise. It incorporates an affective component that informs dynamic user models to produce adaptive interaction strategies.
KeywordsSentient computing m-health wearable technologies active ageing mobile interfaces conversational interfaces multimodal interacion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Grönvall, E., Verdezoto, N.: Beyond self-monitoring: Understanding non-functional aspects of home-based healthcare technology. In: UbiComp 2013 - Proceedings of the 2013 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing., pp. 587–596 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Pfeifer, L., Bickmore, T.: Designing Embodied Conversational Agents to Conduct Longitudinal Health Interviews. In: Proc. Intelligent Virtual Agents 2010, pp. 4698–4703 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Mooney, K., Beck, S., Dudley, W., Farzanfar, R., Friedman, R.: A computer-based telecommunication system to improve symptom care for women with breast cancer. Annals of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting Supplement 27, 152–161 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Harper, R., Nicholl, P., McTear, M.F., Wallace, J.G., Black, L.A., Kearney, P.: Automated phone capture of diabetes patients readings with consultant monitoring via the web. In: Proc. ECBS 2008, pp. 219–226 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Dalgaard, L., Gronvall, E., Verdezoto, N.: Mediframe: A tablet application to plan, inform, remind and sustain older adults’ medication intake. In: Proc. ICHI 2013, pp. 36–45 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.McTear, M.F., Callejas, Z.: Voice Application Development for Android. Packt Publishing Ltd (2013)Google Scholar