Investigation of the Harpist/Harp Interaction
This paper presents a contribution to the field of the musician/instrument interaction analysis. This study aims at investigating the mechanical parameters that govern the harp plucking action as well as the gestural strategies set up by harpists to control a musical performance. Two specific experimental procedures have been designed to accurately describe the harpist motion in realistic playing contexts. They consist in filming the plucking action and the harpists gestures using a high-speed camera and a motion capture system, respectively. Simultaneously, acoustical measurements are performed to relate the kinematic investigation to sound features. Results describe the musical gesture characteristics. Mechanical parameters governing the finger/string interaction are highlighted and their influence on the produced sound are discussed. Besides, the relationship between non sound-producing gestures and musical intent is pointed out. Finally, the way energy is shared between harpist arm joints according to various playing techniques is analyzed.
KeywordsHarp High-speed video analysis Motion capture Acoustics Data mining
The authors would like to thank C. Brum Medeiros, M. Ghamsari-Esfahani, L. Quartier, M.-A. Vitrani and M. M. Wanderley for their help during measurements, the harpists who participated in this study: M. Denizot, P. Didier, E. Grégoire-Rousseau, M. Klein, S. Le Conte, C. Levecque, C. Lieby-Muller, A. Malette-Chénier, M. Monod-Cotte, B. Pigaglio, M. Rochut, M.-E. Sutherland and C. Vincent; and R. Martin for her interest and fruitful discussions.
- 3.Chadefaux, D.: Interaction musicien/instrument: Le cas de la harpe de concert (Musician/Instrument interaction: the case of the concert harp), Ph.D. thesis, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Chaigne, A., Kergomard, J.: Acoustique des instruments de musique, p. 704. Belin, Paris (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Duxbury, C., Bello, J.P., Davies, M., Sandler, M.: Complex domain onset detection for musical signals. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Digital Audio Effects (DAFx), vol. 1, pp. 90–94 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Jensenius, A.R., Wanderley, M.M., Godøy, R.I., Leman, M.: Musical gestures: sound movement and meaning. In: Godøy, R., Leman, M. (eds.) Musical Gestures: Concepts and Methods in Research, 1st edn. Routledge, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Martin, R.: Tension/détente de la posture du harpiste en Europe occidentale. Travaux de recherche de l’Institut Médecine des arts, Paris, France (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Schoonderwaldt, E., Demoucron, M.: Extraction of bowing parameters from violin performance combining motion capture and sensors. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 126(5), 2595–2708 (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Woodhouse, J.: On the synthesis of guitar plucks. Acta Acust. United Acust. 90, 928–944 (2004)Google Scholar