Natural Language Processing for Linking Online News and Open Government Data
The value in the vast amount of linked data and open data produced during the last decade is widely recognized and being exploited by different initiatives. However, a remaining challenge is to integrate government information with semi-structured data in sources relevant to citizens, who have become skeptical of official versions and more interested in information associated with their own interests and values. We present a system that integrates and provides uniform access to government data linked to news portals, via an automated named entity linking process, and information provided by a parliament monitoring organization. We develop a prototype to show how this system can be used to develop semantic web applications that assist citizens in making informed political decisions using data linked to their interests and sources not affiliated with the government. This enables them to contrast the official information and find political figures associated to their own personal interests.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wood, D. (ed.): Linking Government Data (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Lance Bennett, W.: Changing citizenship in the digital age. Civic Life Online: Learning how Digital Media Can Engage Youth 1, 1–24 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Allemang, D., Hendler, J.: Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist, 2nd edn. Elsevier (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.W.W.W.W.C. Recommendation (March 2013), http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/REC-sparql11-query-20130321/
- 6.Noy, F.N., Mcguinness, L.D.: Ontology Development 101: A Guide to Creating Your First Ontology. Stanford Knowledge Systems Laboratory Technical Report KSL-01-05, 3 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Berners-Lee, T.: Design issues: linked data (June 18, 2009), http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html (accessed November 1, 2013)
- 8.Kalampokis, E., Tambouris, E., Tarabanis, K.: On publishing linked open government data. In: Proceedings of the 17th Panhellenic Conference on Informatics, pp. 25–32 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Roncancio, G.: Parliamentary Informatics: Building the Foundations for an Analytical Information System about Parliamentary Work using a Data-Warehousing approach (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Vafopoulos, M., Meimaris, M., Álvarez, J.M., Xidias, I., Klonaras, M., Vafeiadis, G.: Insights in global public spending. In: I-SEMANTICS 2013 Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Semantic Systems, Messe Graz (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Vafopoulos, M., Meimaris, M., Anagnostopoulos, I., Papantoniou, A., Xidias, I., Alexiou, G., Vafeiadis, G., Klonaras, M., Loumos, V.: (March 2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2233998
- 12.Ding, L., Lebo, T., Erickson, J.S., DiFranzo, D., Todd Williams, G., Li, X., Michaelis, J., Graves, A., Guang Zheng, J., Shangguan, Z., Flores, J., McGuinness, D.L., Hendler, J.A.: TWC LOGD: A portal for linked open government data ecosystems. Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web 9(3), 325–333 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Mihalcea, R., Andras, C.: Wikify! Linking Documents to Encyclopedic Knowledge. In: CIKM 2007, Lisboa (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Bunescu, R., Pasca, M.: Using encyclopedic knowledge for named entity disambiguation. In: EACL 2006 (2006)Google Scholar