A Semantic Pattern-Based Recommender
- 696 Downloads
This paper presents a novel approach for Linked Data-based recommender systems through the use of semantic patterns - generalized paths in a graph described through the types of the nodes and links involved. We apply this novel approach to the book dataset from the ESWC2014 recommender systems challenge. User profiles are built by aggregating ratings on patterns with respect to each book in provided user training set. Ratings are aggregated by estimating the expected value of a Beta distribution describing the rating given to each individual book. Our approach allows the determination of a rating for a book, even if the book is poorly connected with user profile. It allows for a “prudent” estimation thanks to smoothing. However, if many patterns are available, it considers all the contributions. Additionally, it allows for a lightweight computation of ratings as it exploits the knowledge encoded in the patterns. Our approach achieved a precision of 0.60 and an overall F-measure of about 0.52 on the ESWC2014 challenge.
KeywordsLightweight Computation Semantic Patterns Estimation Thanks Recommender Systems Challenge ESWC-2018 Challenge
This research was supported by the EU FP7 STREP “ViSTA-TV” project and by the Dutch COMMIT Data2Semantics project.
- 1.Di Noia, T., Mirizzi, R., Ostuni, V.C., Romito, D., Zanker, M.: Linked open data to support content-based recommender systems. In: I-SEMANTICS ’12, pp. 1–8. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Fossati, M., Giuliano, C., Tummarello, G.: Semantic network-driven news recommender systems: a celebrity gossip use case. In: SeRSy, pp. 25–36. CEUR-WS.org (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Gangemi, A., Presutti, V.: Towards a pattern science for the Semantic Web. Seman. Web - Interoperability Usability Applicability 1, 61–68 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Maccatrozzo, V., Aroyo, L., van Hage, W.R.: Crowdsourced evaluation of semantic patterns for recommendation. In: UMAP Workshops. CEUR-WS.org (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Presutti, V., Aroyo, L., Adamou, A., Schopman, B., Gangemi, A., Schreiber, G.: Extracting core knowledge from linked data. In: COLD. CEUR-WS.org (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Prokhorov, A.: Beta-distribution. In: Hazewinkel, M. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Mathematics. Springer, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Sun, Y., Han, J., Yan, X., Yu, P.S., Pathsim, T.W.: Meta path-based top-k similarity search in heterogeneous information networks. PVLDB 4(11), 992–1003 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, Y., Stash, N., Aroyo, L., Hollink, L., Schreiber, G.: Semantic relations for content-based recommendations. In: K-Cap 2009, pp. 209–210. ACM (2009)Google Scholar