Geographic Summaries from Crowdsourced Data
In this paper, we present a research prototype for creating geographic summaries using the whereabouts of Foursquare users. Exploiting the density of the venue types in a particular region, the system adds a layer over any typical cartography geographic maps service, creating a first glance summary over the venues sampled from the Foursquare knowledge base. Each summary is represented by a convex hull. The shape is automatically computed according to the venue densities enclosed in the area. The summary is then labeled with the most prominent category or categories. The prominence is given by the observed venue category density. The prototype provides two outputs: a light-weight representation structured in GeoJSON, and a semantic description using the Open Annotation Ontology. We evaluate the quality of the summaries using the Sum of Squared Errors (SSE) and the Jaccard distance. The system is available at http://geosummly.eurecom.fr.
KeywordsJaccard Distance Squared Error Social Platform SPARQL Endpoint Social Media Service
This work was supported by the SMAT-F2 project funded by Regione Piemonte, the European Fund for the Regional Development (F.E.S.R.), and the EIT ICTLabs 3cixty project.
- 1.Ester, M., Kriegel, H.P., Sander, J., Xu, X.: A density-based algorithm for discovering clusters in large spatial databases with noise. In: 2nd International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD’96) (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Ferrari, L., Rosi, A., Mamei, M., Zambonelli, F.: Extracting urban patterns from location-based social networks. In: 3rd ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Location-Based Social Networks (LBSN ’11) (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Kailing, K., Kriegel, H.P., Kröger, P.: Density-connected subspace clustering for high-dimensional data. In: 4th SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SIAM’04) (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Noulas, A., Scellato, S., Mascolo, C., Pontil, M.: Exploiting semantic annotations for clustering geographic areas and users in location-based social networks. In: ICWSM International Workshop on Social Mobile Web (SMW’11) (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Phithakkitnukoon, S., Olivier, P.: Sensing urban social geography using online social networking data. In: 5th International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM’11) (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Walpole, R., Myers, R.: Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists, 8th edn. Pearson Education International, Upper Saddle River (2007)Google Scholar