Reverse Engineering of Middleware for Verification of Robot Control Architectures
- 3.5k Downloads
We consider the problem of automating the verification of distributed control software relying on publish-subscribe middleware. In this scenario, the main challenge is that software correctness depends intrinsically on correct usage of middleware components, but structured models of such components might not be available for analysis, e.g., because they are too large and complex to be described precisely in a cost-effective way. To overcome this problem, we propose to identify abstract models of middleware as finite-state automata, and then to perform verification on the combined middleware and control software models. Both steps are carried out in a computer-assisted way using state-of-the-art techniques in automata-based identification and verification. Our main contribution is to show that the combination of identification and verification is feasible and useful when considering typical issues that arise in the implementation of distributed control software.
KeywordsModel Check Linear Temporal Logic Reachability Graph Reverse Engineer Reading Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Holzmann, G.J.: The SPIN model checker: Primer and reference manual, vol. 1003. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Kearns, M., Vazirani, U.: An introduction to computational learning theory. MIT Press (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Khalili, A., Tacchella, A.: Learning nondeterministic mealy machines. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Grammatical Inference (ICGI) ( to appear, 2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Lynch, N.A., Tuttle, M.R.: Hierarchical correctness proofs for distributed algorithms. In: Proceedings of the Sixth Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pp. 137–151. ACM (1987)Google Scholar
- 12.Metta, G., Natale, L., Nori, F., Sandini, G., Vernon, D., Fadiga, L., von Hofsten, C., Rosander, K., Lopes, M., Santos-Victor, J., et al.: The iCub Humanoid Robot: An Open-Systems Platform for Research in Cognitive Development. Neural Networks: The Official Journal of the International Neural Network Society (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Quigley, M., Conley, K., Gerkey, B., Faust, J., Foote, T., Leibs, J., Wheeler, R., Ng, A.Y.: ROS: an open-source Robot Operating System. In: ICRA Workshop on Open Source Software, vol. 3 (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Shahbaz, M.: Reverse Engineering Enhanced State Models of Black Box Software Components to Support Integration Testing. Ph.D. thesis, Institut Polytechnique de Grenoble, Grenoble, France (2008)Google Scholar