Challenges of Location-Based Services Market Analysis: Current Market Description
Location-Based Services (LBS) have a huge and rapidly growing market, however LBS market reports do not fully agree about the current market size, the exact number of LBS users, market growth rate, etc. Different market study reports describe LBS market size, number of LBS subscribers and frequent users, revenues and costs and most appreciated application types with different and sometimes extremely contrasting numbers and figures and this becomes more problematic when it comes to forecasting the future market of LBS. One of the very first steps in any market analysis is defining business contribution area, which decides what should be included in or excluded from the market analysis. Location based services has got a large market; therefore it is not an easy task to identify LBS market’s boundaries to analyse what is inside the box as LBS applications and exclude the rest. This paper explains the impact of such vague boundaries on market size estimation.
KeywordsLocation-based services (LBS) Market report Business analysis
This work was financially supported by the EU FP7 Marie Curie Initial Training Network Multi-technology Positioning Professionals (MULTI-POS) under grant no. 316528.
- Basiri A, Figueiredo Silva P, Lohan E.S, Peltola P, Hill C, Moore T (2014) Overview of positioning technologies from fitness-to-purpose point of view. In: International conference on localization and GNSS (ICL-GNSS)Google Scholar
- Berg Insight (2014) Mobile location-based services, 8th edn. Berg InsightGoogle Scholar
- Brimicombe A, Li C (2009) LBS and geoinformation engineering. Wiley, New York. ISBN 978-0-470-85737-3Google Scholar
- Gartner Group Report (2012) Dataquest insight: The top ten consumer mobile applications for 2012Google Scholar
- GSA Report (2013) GNSS Market Report, 3rd edn of the European GNSS Agency (GSA), Oct 2013Google Scholar
- Juniper Research (2014) Location based services marketGoogle Scholar
- Jacobson L (2007) GNSS market and applicationGoogle Scholar
- Pew Reseach Center (2013) Location-based services, smartphone ownership, Washington DCGoogle Scholar
- Pyramid Research Report (2014) Location based services marketGoogle Scholar