An Improved Segmentation Method for Non-melanoma Skin Lesions Using Active Contour Model
Computer-Aided Diagnosis (CAD) systems are widely used to classify skin lesions in dermoscopic images. The segmentation of the lesion area is the initial and key step to automate this process using a CAD system. In this paper, an improved segmentation algorithm is developed based on the following steps: (1) color space transform to the perception-oriented CIECAM02 color model, (2) preprocessing step to correct specular reflection, (3) contrast enhancement using an homomorphic transform filter (HTF) and nonlinear sigmoidal function (NSF) and (4) segmentation with relative entropy (RE) and active contours model (ACM). To validate the proposed technique, comparisons with other three state-of-the-art segmentation algorithms were performed for 210 non-melanoma lesions. From these experiments, an average true detection rate of 91.01, false positive rate of 6.35 and an error probability of 7.8 were obtained. These experimental results indicate that the proposed technique is useful for CAD systems to detect non-melanoma skin lesions in dermoscopy images.
KeywordsComputer-Aided Diagnosis (CAD) Dermoscopy Non-melanoma skin lesions Contrast enhancement Segmentation Active contour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Abbas, Q., Emre Celebi, M., Fondón, I., Ahmad, W.: Melanoma recognition framework based on expert definition of ABCD for dermoscopic images, skin research and technology (2012) (in press)Google Scholar
- 4.Ballerini, L., Fisher, R.B., Aldridge, B., Rees, J.: A color and texture based hierarchical k-nn approach to the classification of non-melanoma skin lesions. In: Color Medical Image Analysis. Springer (2012) (in press)Google Scholar
- 8.Emre Celebi, M., Wen, Q., Hwang, S., Iyatomi, H., Schaefer, G.: Lesion Border Detection in Dermoscopy Images Using Ensembles of Thresholding Methods. Skin Res. Technol. (2012) (in press)Google Scholar
- 13.Abbas, Q., Fondón, I., Rashid, M.: Unsupervised skin lesions border detection via two-dimensional image analysis. Comput. Meth. Prog. Bio. (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Argenziano, G., Soyer, P.H., De, V.G., Carli, P., Delfino, M.: Interactive atlas of dermoscopy CD. EDRA medical publishing and New media, Milan (2002)Google Scholar
- 20.Smith, J.R.: Color for image retrieval. In: Image Databases, ch. 11, pp. 285–311. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2002)Google Scholar
- 21.Huang, Z.-K., Liu, D.-H.: Segmentation of color image using EM algorithm in HSV color space. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Information Acquisition, pp. 316–319 (July 2007)Google Scholar
- 23.Melanocytic Lesions. Medical Image Analysis 7(1), 47–64 (2003)Google Scholar