A Multi-agent Algorithm to Improve Content Management in CDN Networks
An effective solution to delivery static contents are the Content Delivery Networks (CDNs). However, when the network size increases, they show limits and weaknesses related to their size, dynamic nature, and due to the centralized/heirarchical algorithms used for their management. Decentralized algorithms and protocols can be usefully employed to improve their efficiency. A bio-inspired algorithm that improves the performance of CDNs by means of a logical organization of contents is presented in this paper. Self-organizing ant-inspired agents move and organize the metadata describing the content among the CDN servers, which are interconnected in a peer-to-peer fashion, so as to improve discovery operations. Experimental results confirm the effectiveness of the adopted approach.
KeywordsContent Delivery Networks Bio-inspired Peer to Peer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Erdil, D.C., Lewis, M.J., Abu-Ghazaleh, N.B.: Adaptive approach to information dissemination in self-organizing grids. In: 2006 International Conference on Autonomic and Autonomous Systems, ICAS 2006, p. 55. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Forestiero, A.: Self organization in content delivery networks. In: 2012 IEEE 10th International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing with Applications (ISPA), pp. 851–852 (July 2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Guomin, Z., Changyou, X., Ming, C.: A distributed multimedia cdn model with p2p architecture. In: International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies, ISCIT 2006, pp. 152–156. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Huang, C., Wang, A., Li, J., Ross, K.W.: Understanding hybrid cdn-p2p: why limelight needs its own red swoosh. In: Proceedings of the 18th International Workshop on Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video, pp. 75–80. ACM (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Kang, S., Yin, H.: A hybrid cdn-p2p system for video-on-demand. In: Second International Conference on Future Networks, ICFN 2010, pp. 309–313. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, G., Wang, H., Zhang, H.: An ant colony optimization algorithm for overlay backbone multicast routing in content delivery networks. In: 2012 IEEE 11th International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), pp. 1878–1882. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Mulerikkal, J.P., Khalil, I.: An architecture for distributed content delivery network. In: 15th IEEE International Conference on Networks, ICON 2007, pp. 359–364. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar