Dynamic Deployment of Software Components for Self-adaptive Distributed Systems
This paper proposes a novel approach to adapting applications, which are running on one or more computers. The key idea behind the proposed approach is to introduce the policy-based relocation of components to define functions between computers as a basic mechanism for adaptation on distributed systems. It is constructed as a middleware system for Java-based general-purposed software components. This paper describes the proposed approach and the design and implementation of the approach with several applications, e.g., adaptive data replication between primary backup and chain replication approaches.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alsberg, P.A., Day, J.D.: A principle for resilient sharing of distributed resources. In: Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 1976), pp. 627–644 (1976)Google Scholar
- 2.Bonabeau, E., Dorigo, M., Theraulaz, G.: Swarm Intelligence: From Natural to Artificial Systems. Oxford University Press (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Cheng, S., Garlan, D., Schmerl, B.: Architecture-based self-adaptation in the presence of multiple objectives. In: Proceedings of International Workshop on Self-adaptation and Self-managing Systems (SEAMS 2006), pp. 2–8. ACM Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Dorigo, M., Stutzle, T.: Ant Colony Optimization. MIT Press (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Georgiadis, I., Magee, J., Kramer, J.: Self-Organising Software Architectures for Distributed Systems. In: Proceedings of 1st Workshop on Self-healing Systems (WOSS 2002), pp. 33–38. ACM Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Herrman, K.: Self-organizing Ambient Intelligence. In: VDM (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Holder, O., Ben-Shaul, I., Gazit, H.: System Support for Dynamic Layout of Distributed Applications. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 1999), pp. 403–411. IEEE Computer Society (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Jaeger, M.A., Parzyjegla, H., Muhl, G., Herrmann, K.: Self-organizing broker topologies for publish/subscribe systems. In: Proceedings of ACM symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2007), pp. 543–550. ACM (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Koza, J.R.: Genetic Programming: On the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection. MIT Press (1992)Google Scholar
- 11.van Renesse, R., Schneider, F.B.: Chain replication for supporting high throughput and availability. In: Proceedings of 6th Conference on Symposium on Opearting Systems Design & Implementation, OSDI 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Satoh, I.: Evolutionary Mechanism for Disaggregated Computing. In: Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Complex, Intelligent, and Software Intensive Systems (CISIS 2012), pp. 343–350. IEEE Computer Society (2012)Google Scholar