On the Dynamics of Multi-information in Cellular Automata
After reviewing a few key quantities of information theory, we investigate in this paper the behaviour of multi-information in elementary cellular automata. It will turn out that the usual classification by Wolfram is not well supported in terms of this information measure, or, more likely, that multi-information is blind to the kind of complexity displayed by those automata.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ay, N., Olbrich, E., Bertschinger, N., Jost, J.: A Geometric Approach to Complexity. Chaos 21 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Chliamovitch, G., Chopard, B., Velasquez, L.: (to appear)Google Scholar
- 5.Martinez, G.: A Note on Elementary Cellular Automata Classification. arXiv, 1306-5577 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Penrose, O.: Foundations of Statistical Mechanics. Pergamon, Oxford (1969)Google Scholar
- 7.Quax, R., Apolloni, A., Sloot, P.M.A.: The Diminishing Role of Hubs in Dynamical Processes on Complex Networks. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 10(88) (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Shannon, C.: The Mathematical Theory of Communication. Bell System Technical Journal 27, 379–439, 623–656 (1948)Google Scholar