The Brazilian Entrepreneurial Ecosystem of Startups: An Analysis of Entrepreneurship Determinants in Brazil and the Perceptions Around the Brazilian Regulatory Framework
This paper presents the main findings extracted from a quantitative and qualitative research mapping of the Brazilian startup entrepreneurial ecosystem. The analysis was set up based on the six entrepreneurship determinant categories defined by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), which are: the regulatory framework; market conditions; access to finance; the creation and diffusion of knowledge; entrepreneurial capabilities; and entrepreneurship culture. The study involved gathering quantitative data from secondary bases underlying each one of the six pillars and interviewing Brazilian representatives of the determinants indicated above, to proceed to understand which development stage Brazil is in as concerns encouraging entrepreneurial practice and the favorability of the entrepreneurial ambiance in the country, mainly in regards to the country’s regulatory structure.
KeywordsDeterminants Ecosystem Entrepreneurship OECD Startup
- CVM [Brazilian Securities and Exchange Commission]. (2013). Quantidade de Fundos de Investimentos Registrados. Available at http://www.cvm.gov.br/port/public/ASE/icvm/Arquivos2010/Fundos.xls. Accessed 22 Jan 2013.
- E-Bit Company. (2012). Relatório Webshoppers 26a edição (p. 15). Available at http://www.ebitempresa.com.br/web-shoppers.asp. Accessed 22 Feb 2013.
- Hoffman, A., & Ahmad, N. (2007). A framework for addressing and measuring entrepreneurship. Paris: OECD.Google Scholar
- Institute for Management Development. (2012). IMD World Competitiveness Report 2012. Lausanne.Google Scholar
- Isenberg, D. (2010, June). The big idea: How to start an entrepreneurial revolution. Harvard Business Review, 1–11.Google Scholar
- Isenberg, D. (2011). Babson Entrepreneurship Ecosystem Project. Available at http://entrepreneurial-revolution.com/2011/12/entrepreneurship-ecosystem-lessons/. Accessed 25 April 2013.
- Meyer, J. (2012). Welcome to entrepreneur country. London: Constable.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2009). Measuring entrepreneurship: A collection of indicators. Published by OECD Statistics Directorate.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2011). Indicators of entrepreneurial determinants. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/industry/business-stats/indicatorsofentrepreneurialdeterminants.htm. Accessed 20 Mar 2013.
- Schumpeter, J. A. (1975). Capitalism, socialism and democracy. New York: Harper.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (2013). Unesco Institute for Statistics. Available at: http://stats.uis.unesco.org/unesco/ReportFolders/reportFolders.aspx. Accessed 14 Feb 2013.
- World Bank. (2013a). Doing business 2013: Smarter regulations for small and medium-size enterprises. Washington, DC: World Bank Group.Google Scholar
- World Bank. (2013b). World development indicators. Available at: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator. Accessed 15 Feb 2013.
- World Economic Forum. (2012). The global competitiveness report 2012–2013. Geneva.Google Scholar