Parallel Simulation of Atmospheric Halo Phenomena
The paper is an analysis of a parallelized simulation of solar halo phenomena based on an algorithm of inverse ray tracing with the use of Monte Carlo methods. In addition to the description of the basis for the phenomena the simulation algorithm is also discussed. In order to present it in an accessible way, a sequential algorithm is described at first and it is followed by its parallelization method. Both sequential and parallelized approaches are already implemented in author’s solar halo effect simulators so that the practical use of these methods constitutes an excellent base to carry out useful comparisons of performance and quality in the context of obtaining very subtle details in varying types of solar halo phenomena.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Greenler, R.: Rainbows, halos, and glories. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1980)Google Scholar
- 2.Baranoski, G., Hong, S.: A Study on Atmospheric Halo Visualization, Technical Report CS-2003-26. School of Computer Science University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Cowley, L.: HaloSim Homepage, http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halosim.htm
- 5.Glassner, A.: Computer-generated solar halos and sun dogs. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 77–81 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Glassner, A.: Solar halos and sun dogs. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 83–87 (January 1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Gonzato, J.C., Marchand, S.: Efficient simulation of halos for computer graphics. In: 8 ECS & IA, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 8.Jackèl, D., Walter, B.: Simulation and visualization of halos. In: ANIGRAPH (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Amdahl, G.M.: Validity of single-processor approach to achieving large-scale computing capability. In: Proceedings of AFIPS Conference, Reston, VA, pp. 483–485 (1967)Google Scholar
- 11.Gustafson, J.L.: Reevaluating Amdahl’s Law. CACM, 532–533 (1988)Google Scholar
- 12.Glassner, A.: An Introduction to Ray Tracing. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc., San Francisco (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Gnatyuk, Y.: Panoramic photograph of solar halo phenomena, Russia, Arkhangelsk, http://gnatyuk.ru/3d/galo/1.html