Captioning of Live TV Commentaries from the Olympic Games in Sochi: Some Interesting Insights
In this paper, we describe our effort and some interesting insights obtained during captioning more than 70 hours of live TV broadcasts from the Olympic Games in Sochi. The closed captioning was prepared for ČT Sport, the sport channel of the public service broadcaster in the Czech Republic. We will briefly discuss our solution for distributed captioning architecture on live TV programs using re-speaking approach as well as several modifications of existing live captioning application (especially LVCSR system), but also the way of re-speaking of a real TV commentary for individual sports. We will show that a re-speaker after hard training can achieve such accuracy (more than 98 %) and readability of captions which clearly outperform accuracy of captions created by automatic recognition of TV soundtrack.
Keywordslive captioning speech recognition re-speaking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Koehler, J., Morgan, N., Hermansky, H., Hirsch, H.G., Tong, G.: Integrating RASTA-PLP into speech recognition. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, ICASSP 1994, vol. 1, pp. 421–424 (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Evans, M.J.: Speech Recognition in Assisted and Live Subtitling for Television. R&D White Paper WHP 065. BBC Research & Development (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Marks, M.: A distributed live subtitling system. R&D White Paper WHP 070, BBC Research & Development (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Psutka, J., Psutka, J.V., Ircing, P., Hoidekr, J.: Recognition of spontaneously pronounced TV ice-hockey commentary. In: ISCA & IEEE Workshop on Spontaneous Speech Processing and Recognition, pp. 169–172 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Psutka, J.V.: Robust PLP-Based Parameterization for ASR Systems. In: SPECOM, International Conference on Speech and Computer, pp. 509–515 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Ortega, A., Garcia, J.E., Miguel, A., Lleida, E.: Real-Time Live Broadcast News Subtitling System for Spanish. In: 10th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association, pp. 2095–2098. Causal Productions (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Romero-Fresco, P.: More haste less speed: Edited versus verbatim respoken subtitles. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics, University of Vigo, Number 6, 109–133 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Bordel, G., Nieto, S., Penagarikano, M., Rodriguez-Fuentes, L.J., Varona, A.: Automatic Subtitling of the Basque Parliament Plenary Sessions Videos. In: 12th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association, pp. 1613–1616. Causal Productions (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Pražák, A., Loose, Z., Psutka, J., Radová, V.: Four-phase Re-speaker Training System. In: SIGMAP, International Conference on Signal Processing and Multimedia Applications, pp. 217–220 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Pražák, A., Loose, Z., Trmal, J., Psutka, J.V., Psutka, J.: Novel Approach to Live Captioning Through Re-speaking: Tailoring Speech Recognition to Re-speaker’s Needs. In: 13th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association, pp. 1370–1373. Curran Associates, Inc., Red Hook (2012)Google Scholar