Calibration of Rotating 2D Laser Range Finder Using Circular Path on Plane Constraints
Rotating a 2D laser range finder is a common way to obtain the 3D data of a scene.In the real system, the rotation axis is not always coincide with the sensor’s axis. Due to this matter, it is important to know the rotation axis of a rotating 2D laser range finder system to obtains an accurate 3D measurement.In this paper, a method for determining the rotational axis and its relation to the sensor’s position is presented. The rotational axis is approximated by analyzing the surface normal of several sensor’s positions with different rotation angle.The sensor’s positions are projected to the rotational plane to obtain a circular path. The circular path is approximated using a circular fitting method. A comprehensive analysis from a simulation system is presented in this paper to show the performance of the proposed calibration method.
KeywordsLaser range finder extrinsic calibration circular fitting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jia, T., Fu, M., Yang, Y., Zhu, H.: Calibration of a 3D laser range finder and a camera based on stereoscopic checkerboard. In: International Conference on Vehicular Electronics and Safety (ICVES), Beijing, pp. 92–96 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Fan, H., Li, G., Dong, L.: The calibration algorithm between 2D laser range finder and platform. In: International Joint Conference on Computational Sciences and Optimization (CSO), Hainan, pp. 781–783 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Yang, G., Zhengchun, D., Zhenqiang, Y.: Calibration method of three dimensional (3D) laser measurement system based on projective transformation. In: International Conference on Measuring Technology and Mechatronics Automation (ICMTMA), pp. 666–671 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.So, E., Basso, F., Menegatti, E.: Calibration of a rotating 2D laser range finder using point-plane constraints. Journal of Automation, Mobile Robotics & Intelligent Systems 7, 30–38 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang, Q., Pless, R.: Extrinsic calibration of a camera and laser range finder (improves camera calibration). In: International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 2301–2306 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.So, E., Menegatti, E.: A unified approach to extrinsic calibration between a camera and a laser range finder using point-plane constraints. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Perception for Mobile Robots Autonomy (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Hoang, V.-D., Hernández, D.C., Jo, K.-H.: Intelligent Information and Database Systems. In: Intelligent Information and Database Systems, pp. 561–570. Springer International Publishing (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Kurnianggoro, L., Jo, K.H.: Free Road Space Estimation Based on Surface Normal Analysis in Organized Point Cloud. In: International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 609 – 613 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Klasing, K., Althoff, D., Wollherr, D., Buss, M.: Comparison of surface normal estimation methods for range sensing applications. In: International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 3206–3211 (2009)Google Scholar