Combining Evolutionary Computation and Algebraic Constructions to Find Cryptography-Relevant Boolean Functions
Boolean functions play a central role in security applications because they constitute one of the basic primitives for modern cryptographic services. In the last decades, research on Boolean functions has been boosted due to the importance of security in many diverse public systems relying on such technology. A main focus is to find Boolean functions with specific properties. An open problem in this context is to find a balanced Boolean function with an 8-bit input and nonlinearity 118. Theoretically, such a function has been shown to exist, but it has not been found yet. In this work we focus on specific classes of Boolean functions, and analyze the landscape of results obtained by integrating algebraic and evolutionary computation (EC) based approaches. Results indicate that combinations of these approaches give better results although not reaching 118 nonlinearity.
KeywordsBoolean Functions Nonlinearity Evolutionary Computation Bent Functions Cryptographic Properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Braeken, A.: Cryptographic Properties of Boolean Functions and S-Boxes. PhD thesis, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Burnett, L.D.: Heuristic Optimization of Boolean Functions and Substitution Boxes for Cryptography. PhD thesis, Queensland University of Technology (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Aguirre, H., Okazaki, H., Fuwa, Y.: An Evolutionary Multiobjective Approach to Design Highly Non-linear Boolean Functions. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO 2007, pp. 749–756 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Picek, S., Jakobovic, D., Golub, M.: Evolving Cryptographically Sound Boolean Functions. In: GECCO (Companion), pp. 191–192 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Jakobovic, D., et al.: Evolutionary computation framework (December 2013), http://gp.zemris.fer.hr/ecf/
- 15.Yao, X.: Optimization by genetic annealing. In: Proc. of 2nd Australian Conf. on Neural Networks, pp. 94–97 (1991)Google Scholar
- 16.Fuller, J., Dawson, E., Millan, W.: Evolutionary generation of bent functions for cryptography. In: The 2003 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC 2003, vol. 3, pp. 1655–1661 (December 2003)Google Scholar