Linear Object Registration of Interventional Tools
PURPOSE: Point-set registration for interventional tools requires well-defined points to be present on these tools. In this work, an algorithm is proposed which uses planes, lines, and points for registration when point-set registration is not feasible. METHODS: The proposed algorithm matches points, lines, and planes in each coordinate system, uses invariant features for initial registration, and optimizes the registration iteratively. For validation, simulated data with known ground-truth and real surgical tool registration data using point-set registration as ground-truth were created to evaluate the algorithm’s accuracy. RESULTS: The proposed algorithm is equally as accurate as point-set registration, and the difference between the registrations is less than the noise in the tracking system. CONCLUSION: The proposed algorithm is a viable alternative when point-set registration cannot be performed.
KeywordsRegistration Surgical navigation Coordinate transformations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Foroughi, P., Taylor, R., Fichtinger, G.: Revisited Initialization for 3D Bone Registration. In: Proceedings of SPIE (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, H., Hartley, R.: The 3D-3D Registration Problem Revisited. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Shamir, R., Freiman, M., Joskowicz, L., Shoham, M., Zehavi, E., Shoshan, Y.: Robot-Assisted Image-Guided Targeting for Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery: Planning, Registration, and In-vitro Experiment. In: Duncan, J.S., Gerig, G., et al. (eds.) MICCAI 2005. LNCS, vol. 3750, pp. 131–138. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Thirion, J.P.: Extremal Points: Definition and Application to 3D Image Registration. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (1994)Google Scholar
- 15.Walsh, R., et al.: Design of a tracked ultrasound calibration made of LEGO bricks. In: SPIE Medical Imaging (2014)Google Scholar