Addition with Blinded Operands
The masking countermeasure is an efficient method to protect cryptographic algorithms against Differential Power Analysis (DPA) and similar attacks. For symmetric cryptosystems, two techniques are commonly used: Boolean masking and arithmetic masking. Conversion methods have been proposed for switching from Boolean masking to arithmetic masking, and conversely. The way conversion is applied depends on the combination of arithmetic and Boolean/logical operations executed by the underlying cryptographic algorithm.
This paper focuses on a combination of one addition with one or more Boolean operations. Building on a secure version of a binary addition algorithm (namely, the and-xor-and-double method), we show that conversions from Boolean masking to arithmetic masking can be avoided. We present an application of the new algorithm to the XTEA block-cipher.
KeywordsMasking methods Differential power analysis (DPA) Side-channel attacks Binary addition Block ciphers XTEA
- 6.Ferguson, N., Lucks, S., Schneier, B., Whiting, D., Bellare, M., Kohno, T., Callas, J., Walker, J.: The Skein hash function family. Submission to NIST (Round 3), October 2010. http://www.skein-hash.info/sites/default/files/skein1.3.pdf
- 12.Knuth, D.E.: The Art of Computer Programming, vol. 4A. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Needham, R.M., Wheeler, D.J.: TEA extensions. Technical report, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, October 1997. http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/ftp/users/djw3/xtea.ps
- 19.Örs, S.B., Gürkaynak, F.K., Oswald, E., Preneel, B.: Power-analysis attack on an ASIC AES implementation. In: International Conference on Information Technology: Coding and Computing (ITCC ’04), vol. 2, pp. 546–552. IEEE Computer Society (2004)Google Scholar
- 20.Trichina, E.: Combinational logic design for AES SubByte transformation on masked data. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2003/236 (2003). http://eprint.iacr.org/2003/236
- 22.Wheeler, D.J., Needham, R.M.: Corrections to XTEA. Technical report, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, October 1998. http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/xxtea.pdf