Rolling out Text Categorization for Language Learning Assessment Supported by Language Technology
This paper is concerned with a tool that supports human experts in their task of classifying text excerpts suitable to be used in quizzes for learning materials and as items of exams that are aimed at assessing and certifying the language level of students taking courses of Portuguese as a second language.
We assess the performance of this tool, which is currently available as an online service and is being used by the experts of the team of Camões IP that is responsible for the elaboration of the quizzes and of exam items to be used in language certification exams.
KeywordsLanguage learning assessment readability assessment text categorization second language skills certification Portuguese language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Branco, A., Rodrigues, J., Costa, F., Silva, J., Vaz, R.: Text Classification for Interactive Language Learning (forth)Google Scholar
- 2.Council of Europe (2011), consulted on http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/linguistic/Cadre1_en.asp (March 31, 2014)
- 3.DuBay, W.: The Principles of Readability. Impact Information, Costa Mesa (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Flesch, R.: How to write in plain English: A book for lawyers and consumers. Harper, New York (1979)Google Scholar
- 5.Branco, A., Silva, J.: Evaluating Solutions for the Rapid Development of State-of-the-Art POS Taggers for Portuguese. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2004), pp. 507–510. ELRA, Paris (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Branco, A., Silva, J.: LX-Suite: Shallow Processing Tools for Portuguese. In: Proceedings of the 11th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL 2006), Trento, Italy, pp. 179–182 (2006)Google Scholar