Impacts on Stability of Interdependencies Between Markets in a Cobweb Model
We present a cobweb model of interdependent markets on both the supply and demand sides and apply it to a food and bioenergy framework. The supply side is represented by an agent based model of global land use while the consumer side consists of interlinked demand functions. We find that the two kinds of interdependencies have opposing effects. Linking markets on the supply side transfers instabilities within the system and may cause price fluctuations in previously stable markets. Market interdependency on the demand side, on the other hand, has a stabilizing effect.
KeywordsSupply Side Demand Side Agent Base Model Crop Type Extensive Production
Financial support from the Swedish Energy Agency and from the EU-FP7 project MatheMACS is gratefully acknowledged.
- Anufriev M, Hommes C, Makarewicz T (2013) Learning-to-forecast with genetic algorithms. Technical report, working paperGoogle Scholar
- Brock WA, Hommes CH (1997) A rational route to randomness. Econ J Econ Soc 65(5):1059–1095Google Scholar
- Bryngelsson DK, Lindgren K (2012) A conceptual partial equilibrium model of global agricultural land-use. Working paper. Available at http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/local_164501.pdf
- Fisher G, van Velthuizen H, Shah M, Nachtergaele F (2002) Global agro-ecological assessment for agriculture in the 21st century: methodology and results. International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) and Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Laxenburg/RomeGoogle Scholar
- Lundberg L, Jonson E, Lindgren K, Bryngelsson D, Verendel V (2014) A cobweb model of land-use competition between food and bioenergy crops (submitted)Google Scholar
- Persson UM (2014) The impact of biofuel demand on agricultural commodity prices: a systematic review. Accepted for publication in WIREs Energy and EnvironmentGoogle Scholar
- Rounsevell M, Arneth A, Brown D, de Noblet-Ducoudr N, Ellis E, Finnigan J, Galvin K, Grigg N, Harman I, Lennox J, Magliocca Ns, Parker D, ONeill B, Verburg P, Young O (2013) Incorporating human behaviour and decision making processes in land use and climate system models. GLP Report No. 7Google Scholar