An Overview of Industrial Communication Networks
This paper presents an overview on the industrial communication networks and protocols developed to monitor and control industrial processes. The most common protocols (Profibus, DeviceNet, Ethernet TCP-IP, AS-Interface, RS485, RS232, Host Link and FINS) are described and compared. These protocols and also different industrial networks can be tested using a dedicate Automation Platform, Remote Industrial Automation Protocol (PAIR). Different real-world case studies, selective solder industrial unit and other laboratorial prototypes are being designed to be used as demonstration of practical exercises.
KeywordsAutomation Communication protocols Industrial communication networks Remote access
The authors of this paper are grateful to national funds by FCT—Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia in the scope of the project: PEst-OE/EEI/UI0319/2014.
- 1.Leão CP, Soares F, Machado J, Seabra E, Rodrigues H (2011) Design and development of a Industrial Network Laboratory. Int J Emerg Technol Learn (iJET) 6:21–26Google Scholar
- 2.Costa J, Carvalho N, Leão CP, Soares FO, Machado J (2010) Industrial network platform for monitoring and control of automated manufacturing systems. In: Proceedings of IFAC 2010 -IFAC workshop on intelligent manufacturing systems, Lisboa, Portugal, pp 168–173Google Scholar
- 3.Costa J, Carvalho N, Soares FO, Leão CP, Machado J (2010) Remote access to e-labs. In: Proceedings of CONTROLO 2010—9th Portuguese conference on automatic control, Coimbra, Portugal, pp 10–11Google Scholar
- 4.Costa J, Carvalho N, Soares FO, Leão CP, Machado J (2009) The FINS protocol for complex industrial applications: a case study. In: Proceedings of ICINCO 2009—International conference on informatics in control, Milan, Italy, 5 ppGoogle Scholar
- 5.http://www.profibus.com/technology/profibus/. Accessed on 3 Feb 2014
- 6.http://www.odva.org/default.aspx?tabid=66. Accessed on 3 Feb 2014
- 7.http://www.as-interface.net/knowledge-base. Accessed on 3 Feb 2014
- 8.Kurose JF, Ross KW (2010) Computer networking: a top-down approach, 5th ed. Pearson-Addison Wesley, BostonGoogle Scholar
- 9.Tanenbaum AS (2003) Computer networks, 4th edn. Pearson Education International, Upper Saddle RiverGoogle Scholar
- 10.Tang A, Scoggins S (1992) Open networking with OSI. Prentice Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- 11.Omron (2014) Serial communications boards and serial communications units. http://downloads.industrial.omron.eu/…/W336-E1-10+CS-CJ-Series+OperManual.pdf. Accessed on 6 Feb 2014
- 12.http://paginas.fe.up.pt/~pfs/recursos/plcs/omron/cs1/eth_manual/sec5.pdf. Accessed on 6 Feb 2014