Aggregate MAC Based Authentication for Secure Data Aggregation in Wireless Sensor Networks
Wireless sensor networks perform in-network processing to reduce the energy consumption caused by redundant communication. At the same time, its hostile deployment and unreliable communication raise the security concerns. Thus, there is a need to blend security and data aggregation together to provide secure data aggregation. Secure data aggregation becomes challenging if end-to-end privacy is desired. Privacy homomorphism is used to achieve both en route aggregation and end-to-end privacy of sensor readings. However, privacy homomorphism is inherently malleable. Using privacy homomorphism, one can modify the ciphertext without decrypting it. Thus, it becomes extremely crucial to ensure authentication along with privacy. Symmetric key based Message Authentication Code (MAC) is an efficient solution to provide authentication. In this paper, we use Aggregate Message Authentication Codes (AMAC) to reduce the transmission cost incurred by MAC. However, conflicting requirements of AMAC and data aggregation make its usage limited for certain scenarios. In this paper, we present a cluster based scenario where we can apply AMAC to reduce the number of bits transmitted for authentication.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Networks Secure Data Aggregation Authentication Aggregate Message Authentication Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Girao, J., Westhoff, D., Schneider, M.: CDA: Concealed data aggregation for reverse multicast traffic in wireless sensor networks. In: 40th International Conference on Communications, IEEE ICC 2005 (May 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Rivest, R., Adleman, L., Dertouzos, M.: On data banks and privacy homomorphisms, pp. 169–177. Academic Press (1978)Google Scholar
- 6.Chan, A.C.F., Castelluccia, C.: On the (im)possibility of aggregate message authentication codes. In: ISIT, pp. 235–239. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Karlof, C., Sastry, N., Wagner, D.: Tinysec: A link layer security architecture for wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems. SenSys 2004, pp. 162–175. ACM, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Chan, H., Perrig, A., Song, D.: Secure hierarchical in-network aggregation in sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 13th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security. CCS 2006, pp. 278–287. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Castelluccia, C., Chan, A.C.F., Mykletun, E., Tsudik, G.: Efficient and provably secure aggregation of encrypted data in wireless sensor networks. ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN) 5(3), 20:1–20:36 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Ozdemir, S.: Concealed data aggregation in heterogeneous sensor networks using privacy homomorphism. In: IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Services, Istanbul, pp. 165–168 (July 2007)Google Scholar