OCLR: A More Expressive, Pattern-Based Temporal Extension of OCL
Modern enterprise information systems often require to specify their functional and non-functional (e.g., Quality of Service) requirements using expressions that contain temporal constraints. Specification approaches based on temporal logics demand a certain knowledge of mathematical logic, which is difficult to find among practitioners; moreover, tool support for temporal logics is limited. On the other hand, a standard language such as the Object Constraint Language (OCL), which benefits from the availability of several industrial-strength tools, does not support temporal expressions.
In this paper we propose OCLR, an extension of OCL with support for temporal constraints based on well-known property specification patterns. With respect to previous extensions, we add support for referring to a specific occurrence of an event as well as for indicating a time distance between events and/or from scope boundaries. The proposed extension defines a new syntax, very close to natural language, paving the way for a rapid adoption by practitioners. We show the application of the language in a case study in the domain of eGovernment, developed in collaboration with a public service partner.
KeywordsBusiness Process Temporal Logic Temporal Constraint Object Constraint Language Linear Temporal Logic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bianculli, D., Ghezzi, C., Pautasso, C., Senti, P.: Specification patterns from research to industry: A case study in service-based applications. In: Proc. ICSE 2012, pp. 968–976. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Cengarle, M.V., Knapp, A.: Towards OCL/RT. In: Eriksson, L.-H., Lindsay, P.A. (eds.) FME 2002. LNCS, vol. 2391, pp. 390–409. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Conrad, S., Turowski, K.: Temporal OCL: Meeting specification demands for business components. In: Unified Modeling Language: System Analysis, Design, and Development Issues, pp. 151–165. IGI Global (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Dou, W., Bianculli, D., Briand, L.: OCLR: a more expressive, pattern-based temporal extension of OCL. Tech. Rep. TR-SnT-2014-2, SnT Centre - University of Luxembourg (February 2014), http://hdl.handle.net/10993/15339
- 7.Dwyer, M.B., Avrunin, G.S., Corbett, J.C.: Patterns in property specifications for finite-state verification. In: Proc. ICSE 1999, pp. 411–420. IEEE (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Flake, S., Mueller, W.: Past- and future-oriented time-bounded temporal properties with OCL. In: Proc. SEFM 2004, pp. 154–163. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Flake, S., Müller, W.: Expressing property specification patterns with OCL. In: Software Engineering Research and Practice, pp. 595–603. CSREA Press (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Object Constraint Language (2012), http://www.omg.org/spec/OCL/ISO/19507/
- 13.Konrad, S., Cheng, B.H.C.: Real-time specification patterns. In: Proc. ICSE 2005, pp. 372–381. ACM (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Robinson, W.N.: Extended OCL for goal monitoring. ECEASST 9 (2008)Google Scholar