Towards Scalable Querying of Large-Scale Models
Hawk is a modular and scalable framework that supports monitoring and indexing large collections of models stored in diverse version control repositories. Due to the aggregate size of indexed models, providing a reliable, usable, and fast mechanism for querying Hawk’s index is essential. This paper presents the integration of Hawk with an existing model querying language, discusses the efficiency challenges faced, and presents an approach based on the use of derived features and indexes as a means of improving the performance of particular classes of queries. The paper also reports on the evaluation of a prototype that implements the proposed approach against the Grabats benchmark query, focusing on the observed efficiency benefits in terms of query execution time. It also compares the size and resource use of the model index against one created without using such optimizations.
KeywordsScalability model querying model-driven engineering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mohagheghi, P., Fernandez, M.A., Martell, J.A., Fritzsche, M., Gilani, W.: MDE Adoption in Industry: Challenges and Success Criteria. In: Chaudron, M.R.V. (ed.) MODELS 2008 Workshops. LNCS, vol. 5421, pp. 54–59. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Kolovos, D.S., Paige, R.F., Polack, F.A.: Scalability: The Holy Grail of Model Driven Engineering. In: Proc. Workshop on Challenges in MDE, Collocated with MoDELS 2008, Toulouse, France (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Barmpis, K., Kolovos, D.: Evaluation of contemporary graph databases for efficient persistence of large-scale models. Journal of Object Technology (to appear, 2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Barmpis, K., Kolovos, D.: Hawk: Towards a scalable model indexing architecture. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Scalability in Model Driven Engineering, BigMDE 2013, pp. 6:1–6:9. ACM, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Kolovos, D.S., Rose, L., Garcia, A.D., Paige, R.F.: The Epsilon Book (2008), http://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/book/
- 8.Paige, R.F., Kolovos, D.S., Rose, L.M., Drivalos, N., Polack, F.A.: The Design of a Conceptual Framework and Technical Infrastructure for Model Management Language Engineering. In: Proc. 14th IEEE International Conf. on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems, Potsdam, Germany (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Willink, E.: Aligning OCL with UML. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on OCL and Textual Modelling. Electronic Communications of the EASST (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Kolovos, D.S., Wei, R., Barmpis, K.: An approach for efficient querying of large relational datasets with ocl-based languages. In: XM 2013–Extreme Modeling Workshop, p. 48 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Grabats2009: 5th Int. Workshop on Graph-Based Tools (2012), http://is.tm.tue.nl/staff/pvgorp/events/grabats2009/
- 12.Pagán, J.E., Cuadrado, J.S., Molina, J.G.: A repository for scalable model management. Software & Systems Modeling, 1–21 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Sottet, J.S., Jouault, F.: Program comprehension. In: Proc. 5th Int. Workshop on Graph-Based Tools (2009)Google Scholar