On the Security of Wireless Sensor Networks via Compressive Sensing
Due to energy limitation of sensor nodes, the conventional security algorithms with high computation complexity are not suitable for wireless sensor networks (WSNs). We propose a compressive sensing-based encryption for WSNs, which provides both signal compression and encryption guarantees, without introducing additional computational cost of a separate encryption protocol. In this paper, we also discuss the information-theoretical and computational secrecy of compressive sensing algorithm. For proposed WSN, if only a fraction of randomizer bits is stored by an eavesdropper, then the probability that he/she cannot obtain any information about the plaintext approaches zero. Simulation results show a trade-off can be made between the sparsity of a random measurement matrix and the number of sensor nodes used to reconstruct the original signal at the fusion center.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks Compressive sensing Perfect secrecy and data reconstruction
This work was supported in part by U.S. Office of Naval Research under Grants N00014-13-1-0043, N00014-11-1-0071, N00014-11-1-0865, and U.S. National Science Foundation under Grants CNS-1247848, CNS-1116749, CNS-0964713.
- 1.Carman DW, Krus PS Matt BJ (2000) Constraints and approaches for distributed sensor network security. Technical Report 00-010, NAI Labs, Network Associates Inc., GlenwoodGoogle Scholar
- 2.Chen J, Liang Q (2011) Rate distortion performance analysis of compressive sensing In: IEEE Globecom. IEEE, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kirachaiwanich D, Liang Q (2011) Compressive sensing: to compress or not to compress. In: Asilomar conference on signals, systems, and computers. Pacific GroveGoogle Scholar
- 8.Wu, J, Wang W, Liang Q, Wu X, Zhang B (2012) Compressive sensing-based signal compression and recovery in UWB wireless communication system. Wiley Wirel Commun Mob Comput. doi:10.1002/wcm.2228Google Scholar
- 9.Wu, J, Wang W, Liang Q, Zhang B, WU X (2013) Compressive sensing based data encryption system with application to sense-through-wall UWB noise radar. Wiley Secur Commun Netw. doi:10.1002/sec.670Google Scholar
- 10.Wu J, Liang Q, Cheng X, Chen D, Narayanan R (2012) Amplitude based compressive sensing for UWB noise radar signal. In: IEEE Globecom, workshop on radar and sonar networks. IEEE, AnaheimGoogle Scholar
- 12.Liang Q, Ji Wu, Cheng X, Chen D, Liang J (2012) Sparsity and compressive sensing of sense-through-foliage radar signals. In: IEEE International conference on communications. IEEE, OttawaGoogle Scholar
- 16.Weiss Y (2007) Learning compressed sensingGoogle Scholar
- 17.Rachlin Y, Baron D (2008) The secrecy of compressed sensing measurements. In: 46th annual Allerton conference on communication, control, and computing, pp 813–817Google Scholar
- 19.Griffin A, Panagiotis T (2007) Compressed sensing of audio signals using multiple sensors. Reconstruction 3(4):5Google Scholar
- 21.Wu J, Liang Q, Zhang B, Wu X (2013) Security analysis of distributed compressive sensing-based wireless sensor networks. In: Second international conference on communications, signal processing and systemsGoogle Scholar