Evidential Communities for Complex Networks
Community detection is of great importance for understanding graph structure in social networks. The communities in real-world networks are often overlapped, i.e. some nodes may be a member of multiple clusters. How to uncover the overlapping communities/clusters in a complex network is a general problem in data mining of network data sets. In this paper, a novel algorithm to identify overlapping communities in complex networks by a combination of an evidential modularity function, a spectral mapping method and evidential c-means clustering is devised. Experimental results indicate that this detection approach can take advantage of the theory of belief functions, and preforms good both at detecting community structure and determining the appropriate number of clusters. Moreover, the credal partition obtained by the proposed method could give us a deeper insight into the graph structure.
KeywordsEvidential modularity Evidential c-means Overlapping communities Credal partition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Havens, T.C., Bezdek, J.C., Leckie, C., Chan, J., Liu, W., Bailey, J., Ramamohanarao, K., Palaniswami, M.: Clustering and visualization of fuzzy communities in social networks. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ), pp. 1–7. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Nepusz, T., Petróczi, A., Négyessy, L., Bazsó, F.: Fuzzy communities and the concept of bridgeness in complex networks. Physical Review E 77(1), 016107 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Newman, M.E.: Fast algorithm for detecting community structure in networks. Physical review E 69(6), 066133 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Newman, M.E., Girvan, M.: Finding and evaluating community structure in networks. Physical Review E 69(2), 026113 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Smyth, S., White, S.: A spectral clustering approach to finding communities in graphs. In: Proceedings of the 5th SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, pp. 76–84 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Verma, D., Meila, M.: A comparison of spectral clustering algorithms. Tech. rep., UW CSE (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Zachary, W.W.: An information flow model for conflict and fission in small groups. Journal of Anthropological Research, 452–473 (1977)Google Scholar