Two Procedures for Analyzing the Reliability of Open Government Data
- 754 Downloads
Open Government Data often contain information that, in more or less detail, regard private citizens. For this reason, before publishing them, public authorities manipulate data to remove any sensitive information while trying to preserve their reliability. This paper addresses the lack of tools aimed at measuring the reliability of these data. We present two procedures for the assessment of the Open Government Data reliability, one based on a comparison between open and closed data, and the other based on analysis of open data only. We evaluate the procedures over data from the data.police.uk website and from the Hampshire Police Constabulary in the United Kingdom. The procedures effectively allow estimating the reliability of open data and, actually, their reliability is high even though they are aggregated and smoothed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bivand, R., Keitt, T., Rowlingson, B., Pebesma, E., Sumner, M., Hijmans, R.: RGDAL: Bindings for the Geospatial Data Abstraction Library (2010), https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/rgdal/
- 2.Ceolin, D., Moreau, L., O’Hara, K., Schreiber, G., Sackley, A., Fokkink, W., van Hage, W.R., Shadbolt, N.: Reliability Analyses of Open Government Data. In: URSW, pp. 34–39. CEUR-ws.org (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Ceolin, D., van Hage, W.R., Fokkink, W., Schreiber, G.: Estimating Uncertainty of Categorical Web Data. In: URSW, pp. 15–26. CEUR-WS.org (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Cornelli, R.: Why people trust the police. An empirical study. PhD thesis, Università degli Studi di Trento, International Ph.D. in Criminology (February 13, 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.CrimeReports. Crimereports (2013), https://www.crimereports.co.uk/
- 7.Human Inference. DataCleaner (2013), http://datacleaner.org
- 10.Killick, R., Eckley, I.A.: changepoint: An R Package for Changepoint Analysis (2013), http://www.lancs.ac.uk/~killick/Pub/KillickEckley2011.pdf
- 11.Koch-Weser, I.N.: The Reliability of China’s Economic Data: An Analysis of National Output (2013), http://www.uscc.gov/sites/default/files/Research/TheReliabilityofChina'sEconomicData.pdf
- 12.Mapit. Mapit (2013), http://mapit.mysociety.orgs
- 13.Talend. Talend Open Studio for Data Quality (2013), http://www.talend.com/products/data-quality
- 14.The Open Data Institute. The Open Data Institute (2013), http://www.theodi.org
- 15.United Kingdom Police Home Office. data.police.uk (2013), http://data.police.uk