Deviation from Criticality in Functional Biological Networks
Claims based on power laws that cognition occurs in a critical state often rely on the assumption that the network observables studied are observables of cognition, however this relationship to function is not clear. Our novel approach to investigate this problem is instead to consider functional output during (goal-directed) pre-copulatory courtship of Drosophila melanogaster, which we study as a complex network. This courtship body language, expressed through a symbolic dynamics, has previously been shown to be situation specific and grammatically complex; here, we show that the networks underlying it deviate from a scale-free structure when recursive grammars are included. This structural deviation is modelled by a simple network growth algorithm which adds internal edge saturation to the preferential attachment paradigm. From this, we suggest that a critical state may not be compatible with higher level cognition.
KeywordsCriticality cognition complex networks network growth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Gomez, F., Stoop, R.: (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 10.Beggs, J.M., Plenz, D.: Neuronal Avalanches in Neocortical Circuits. J. Neurosci. 23, 11167–11177 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Eguíluz, V.M., Chialvo, D.R., Cecchi, G.A., Baliki, M., Apkarian, A.V.: Scale-Free Brain Functional Networks. Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 018102 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Lo, C.-C., Nunes Amaral, L.A., Havlin, S., Ivanov, P.Ch., Penzel, T., Peter, J.-H., Stanley, H.E.: Dynamics of Sleep-Wake Transitions During Sleep. Europhys. Lett. 57, 625–631 (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Lo, C.-C., Chou, T., Penzel, T., Scammell, T.E., Strecker, R.E., Stanley, H.E., Ivanov, P.Ch.: Common Scale-Invariant Patterns of Sleep-Wake Transitions Across Mammalian Species. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 101, 17545–17548Google Scholar
- 15.Stoop, R., Arthur Jr., B.I.: Periodic Orbit Analysis Demonstrates Genetic Constraints, Variability, and Switching in Drosophila Courtship Behavior. Chaos 18, 023123 (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Stoop, R., Joller, J.: Mesocopic Comparison of Complex Networks Based on Periodic Orbits. Chaos 21, 016112 (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Stoop, R., Nüesch, P., Stoop, R.L., Bunimovich, L.A.: At Grammatical Faculty of Language, Flies Outsmart Men. PLoS ONE 8, e70284 (2013)Google Scholar