Probabilistic Diffeomorphic Registration: Representing Uncertainty
This paper presents a novel mathematical framework for representing uncertainty in large deformation diffeomorphic image registration. The Bayesian posterior distribution over the deformations aligning a moving and a fixed image is approximated via a variational formulation. A stochastic differential equation (SDE) modeling the deformations as the evolution of a time-varying velocity field leads to a prior density over deformations in the form of a Gaussian process. This permits estimating the full posterior distribution in order to represent uncertainty, in contrast to methods in which the posterior is approximated via Monte Carlo sampling or maximized in maximum a-posteriori (MAP) estimation. The framework is demonstrated in the case of landmark-based image registration, including simulated data and annotated pre and intra-operative 3D images.
KeywordsGaussian Process Stochastic Differential Equation Deformable Image Registration Registration Problem Deformable Registration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dupuis, P., Grenander, U.: Variational problems on flows of diffeomorphisms for image matching. Quarterly of Applied Mathematics (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Joshi, S.C., Miller, M.: Landmark matching via large deformation diffeomorphisms. TIP (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Ashburner, J., Friston, K.J.: Diffeomorphic registration using geodesic shooting and Gauss–Newton optimisation. NImg (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Beg, M., Miller, M., Trouvé, A., Younes, L.: Computing large deformation metric mappings via geodesic flows of diffeomorphisms. IJCV (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Simpson, I.J.A., Woolrich, M.W., Cardoso, M.J., Cash, D.M., Modat, M., Schnabel, J.A., Ourselin, S.: A Bayesian Approach for Spatially Adaptive Regularisation in Non-rigid Registration. In: Mori, K., Sakuma, I., Sato, Y., Barillot, C., Navab, N. (eds.) MICCAI 2013, Part II. LNCS, vol. 8150, pp. 10–18. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Markussen, B.: Large deformation diffeomorphisms with application to optic flow. Computer Vision and Image Understanding (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Risholm, P., Janoos, F., Norton, I., Golby, A.J., Wells III, W.M.: Bayesian characterization of uncertainty in intra-subject non-rigid registration. Medical Image Analysis (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Kloeden, P.E., Platen, E.: Numerical Solution of Stochastic Differential Equations. Springer (1992)Google Scholar
- 10.Rasmussen, C.E., Williams, C.K.I.: Gaussian Processes for Machine Learning. The MIT Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Biscay, R., Jimenez, J.C., Riera, J.J., Valdes, P.A.: Local linearization method for the numerical solution of stochastic differential equations. Ann. Inst. Stat. Math. (1996)Google Scholar
- 12.Mercier, L., Del Maestro, R.F., Petrecca, K., Araujo, D., Haegelen, C., Collins, D.L.: Online database of clinical MR and ultrasound images of brain tumors. Med. Phys. (2012)Google Scholar