Task Allocation within Mesh Networks: Influence of Architecture and Algorithms
This paper concerns the problem of task allocation within the mesh network. Three mesh structures of processors: rectangle, cylinder and torus, are considered. Two created task allocation algorithms: Generalized Stack-Based Allocation and Generalized Recognition Complete First Fit, are presented and evaluated. The algorithms and structures were tested on different sets of tasks to allocate. The investigations were made using the designed experimentation system and concentrated on the indices of performance such as allocation time, processing time, external fragmentation and latency. Moreover, the influence of the sorting of tasks on the efficiency of algorithms was analyzed. The obtained results allow for some recommendations for the designers of the multiprocessor systems.
Keywordstask allocation mesh network algorithm cylinder torus
This work was supported by the statutory funds of the Faculty of Electronics, Wroclaw University of Technology, Wroclaw, Poland.
- 2.Majkowska, A., Zydek, D., Koszałka, L.: Task Allocation in Distributed Mesh-Connected Machine Learning System: Simplified Busy List Algorithm with Q-Learning Based Queuing. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 226, Springer, 763–772 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Jakimczuk, Ł., Kmiecik, W., Poźniak-Koszałka, I.: Task Allocation Algorithms for 2D Torus Architecture. The Twelfth IARIA International Conference on Networks, 169–174 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Poźniak-Koszałka, I., Proma, W., Koszałka, L., Pol, M., Kasprzak, A.: Task Allocation in Mesh Structure: 2Side LeapFrog Algorithm and Q-learning Based Algorithm, LNCS, Springer 7336, 576–587 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Kaminski, R., Koszałka, L., Poźniak-Koszałka, I., Kasprzak, A.: Evaluation and Comparison of Task Allocation Algorithms for Mesh Networks. Proc. of 9th ICN, IEEE CPS, 104–108 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Geunmo, K., Hyunsoo, Y.: On Submesh Allocation for Mesh Multicomputers: A Best-Fit Allocation and a Virtual Submesh Allocation for Faulty Meshes. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems 9, 1127–185 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Borowiec G., Postawka A., Koszaka L.: Static task allocation algorithms and influence of architecture on Mesh Structured Networks. Computer Systems Engineering PBW, 66–80 (2014)Google Scholar