Minimum Tree Supports for Hypergraphs and Low-Concurrency Euler Diagrams
In this paper we present an O(n2(m + logn))-time algorithm for computing a minimum-weight tree support (if one exists) of a hypergraph H = (V,S) with n vertices and m hyperedges. This improves the previously best known algorithm with running time O(n4m2). A support of H is a graph G on V such that each hyperedge in S induces a connected subgraph in G. If G is a tree, it is called a tree support and it is a minimum tree support if its edge weight is minimum for a given edge weight function. Tree supports of hypergraphs have several applications, from social network analysis and network design problems to the visualization of hypergraphs and Euler diagrams. We show in particular how a minimum-weight tree support can be used to generate an area-proportional Euler diagram that satisfies typical well-formedness conditions and additionally minimizes the number of concurrent curves of the set boundaries in the Euler diagram.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Angluin, D., Aspnes, J., Reyzin, L.: Network construction with subgraph connectivity constraints. J. Comb. Optim. (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Buchin, K., van Kreveld, M., Meijer, H., Speckmann, B., Verbeek, K.: On planar supports for hypergraphs. Technical Report UU-CS-2009-035, Utrecht University (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, J., Komusiewicz, C., Niedermeier, R., Sorge, M., Suchý, O., Weller, M.: Effective and efficient data reduction for the subset interconnection design problem. In: Cai, L., Cheng, S.-W., Lam, T.-W. (eds.) Algorithms and Computation. LNCS, vol. 8283, pp. 361–371. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Chockler, G., Melamed, R., Tock, Y., Vitenberg, R.: Constructing scalable overlays for pub-sub with many topics. In: Principles of Distributed Computing (PODC 2007), pp. 109–118 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Chow, S.: Generating and Drawing Area-Proportional Euler and Venn Diagrams. PhD thesis, University of Victoria (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Hosoda, J., Hromkovič, J., Izumi, T., Ono, H., Steinová, M., Wada, K.: On the approximability and hardness of minimum topic connected overlay and its special instances. Theoretical Computer Science 429, 144–154 (2012)Google Scholar