FHM: Faster High-Utility Itemset Mining Using Estimated Utility Co-occurrence Pruning
High utility itemset mining is a challenging task in frequent pattern mining, which has wide applications. The state-of-the-art algorithm is HUI-Miner. It adopts a vertical representation and performs a depth-first search to discover patterns and calculate their utility without performing costly database scans. Although, this approach is effective, mining high-utility itemsets remains computationally expensive because HUI-Miner has to perform a costly join operation for each pattern that is generated by its search procedure. In this paper, we address this issue by proposing a novel strategy based on the analysis of item co-occurrences to reduce the number of join operations that need to be performed. An extensive experimental study with four real-life datasets shows that the resulting algorithm named FHM (Fast High-Utility Miner) reduces the number of join operations by up to 95 % and is up to six times faster than the state-of-the-art algorithm HUI-Miner.
KeywordsFrequent pattern mining high-utility itemset mining co-occurrence pruning transaction database
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, R., Srikant, R.: Fast algorithms for mining association rules in large databases. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Very Large Databases, pp. 487–499 (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Fournier-Viger, P., Gomariz, A., Campos, M., Thomas, R.: Fast Vertical Mining Sequential Pattern Mining Using Co-occurrence Information. In: Tseng, V.S., Ho, T.B., Zhou, Z.-H., Chen, A.L.P., Kao, H.-Y. (eds.) PAKDD 2014, Part I. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 8443, pp. 40–52. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Fournier-Viger, P., Nkambou, R., Tseng, V.S.: RuleGrowth: Mining Sequential Rules Common to Several Sequences by Pattern-Growth. In: Proc. ACM 26th Symposium on Applied Computing, pp. 954–959 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, M., Qu, J.: Mining High Utility Itemsets without Candidate Generation. In: Proceedings of CIKM 2012, pp. 55–64 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Shie, B.-E., Cheng, J.-H., Chuang, K.-T., Tseng, V.S.: A One-Phase Method for Mining High Utility Mobile Sequential Patterns in Mobile Commerce Environments. In: Proceedings of IEA/AIE 2012, pp. 616–626 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Yin, J., Zheng, Z., Cao, L.: USpan: An Efficient Algorithm for Mining High Utility Sequential Patterns. In: Proceedings of ACM SIG KDD 2012, pp. 660–668 (2012)Google Scholar