Managing and Monitoring Elastic Cloud Applications
Next generation Cloud applications present elastic features and rapidly scale their comprised resources. Consequently, managing and monitoring Cloud applications is becoming a challenge. This paper showcases the functionality and novel features of: (i) c-Eclipse, a framework for describing Cloud applications along with their elasticity requirements and deploying them on any IaaS provider; and (ii) JCatascopia, a fully-automated, multi-layer, interoperable Cloud monitoring system. Particularly, we demonstrate how a user can manage the full lifecycle of a three-tier web application and observe, in real-time, how an elasticity management platform automatically scales the application based on various user-defined elasticity requirements, workloads and performance metrics.
KeywordsCloud Resource Cloud Platform Cloud Application Cloud Manager Cloud Consumer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tsoumakos, D., Konstantinou, I., Boumpouka, C., Sioutas, S., Koziris, N.: Automated, Elastic Resource Provisioning for NoSQL Clusters Using TIRAMOLA. In: IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid, pp. 34–41 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Copil, G., Moldovan, D., Truong, H.L., Dustdar, S.: SYBL: An Extensible Language for Controlling Elasticity in Cloud Applications. In: 13th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing, pp. 112–119 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Trihinas, D., Pallis, G., Dikaiakos, M.D.: JCatascopia: Monitoring Elastically Adaptive Applications in the Cloud. In: 14th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Clayman, S., Galis, A., Mamatas, L.: Monitoring virtual networks with lattice. In: Network Operations and Management Symposium Workshops (NOMS Wksps), pp. 239–246. IEEE/IFIP (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.de Carvalho, M.B., Granville, L.Z.: Incorporating virtualization awareness in service monitoring systems. In: IEEE Integrated Network Management, pp. 297–304 (2011)Google Scholar