Phase Field Methods for Binary Recovery
We consider the inverse problem of recovering a binary function from blurred and noisy data. Such problems arise in many applications, for example image processing and optimal control of PDEs. Our formulation is based on the Mumford-Shah model, but with a phase field approximation to the perimeter regularisation. We use a double obstacle potential as well as a smooth double well potential. We introduce an iterative method for solving the problem, develop a suitable discretisation of this iterative method, and prove some convergence results. Numerical simulations are presented which illustrate the usefulness of the approach and the relative merits of the phase field models.
KeywordsBinary recovery Image processing Mumford-Shah model Optimal control Phase field models
We are grateful to Carsten Gräser for sharing his Dune-Solvers code for the TNNMG method.
- P. Bastian, M. Blatt, A. Dedner, C. Engwer, J. Fahlke, C. Gräser, R. Klöfkorn, M. Nolte, M. Ohlberger, O. Sander, DUNE web page, 2011. http://www.dune-project.org
- M. Blatt, P. Bastian, The iterative solver template library. In: Applied Parallel Computing. State of the Art in Scientific Computing, ed. by B. Kagström, E. Elmroth, J. Dongarra, J. Wasniewski, pp. 666–675, Vol. 4699 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, 2007)Google Scholar
- L. Blank, H. Garcke, L. Sarbu, V. Styles, Primal-dual active set methods for Allen-Cahn variational inequalities with nonlocal constraints. Numer. Meth. Part. Differ. Equat. 29(3), 999–1030 (2013) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/num.v29.3/issuetoc
- R. Choksi, Y. Van Gennip, A. Oberman, Anisotropic total variation regularized L1-approximation and denoising/deblurring of 2D bar codes. Preprint, arXiv:1007.1035 (2010)Google Scholar
- A. Dedner, R. Klöfkorn, M. Nolte, M. Ohlberger, DUNE-FEM web page. 2011. http://dune.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
- D.J. Eyre, An unconditionally stable one-step scheme for gradient systems. Unpublished article (1998)Google Scholar
- C. Gräser, Convex minimization and phase field models. PhD thesis, Freie Universität Berlin, 2011Google Scholar
- B. Hackl, Geometry variations, level set and phase-field methods for perimeter regularized geometric inverse problems. PhD thesis, Johannes Kepler Universität Linz, 2006Google Scholar
- N. Petra, G. Stadler, Model variational inverse problems governed by partial differential equations. Technical Report ADA555315, University of Texas at Austin, Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences, 2011Google Scholar
- L. Sarbu, Primal-dual active set methods for Allen-Cahn variational inequalities. PhD thesis, University of Sussex, 2010Google Scholar