Finding Novel Patents Based on Patent Association
Patent retrieval is critical for technological researches, inventions, and innovative entrepreneurship. There exist a lot of methods for patent retrieval, which usually merely find relevant patents. As a result, outdated patents are frequently found and even ranked ahead of more interesting ones in the result list. However, in most cases, enterprisers and researchers only concern cutting-edge techniques and research results. Novelty-based patent retrieval thus becomes extremely important nowadays. In this paper, we propose an innovative patent finding method that exploits the broad associations between patents. More specifically in this paper, a new concept of patent novelty is first introduced and a novel ranking algorithm is then proposed for proper ranking of patents. Following that, in order to handle rank variations caused by the arrival of new patents, an efficient rank-update algorithm is designed. We have done extensive experimental study that well shows the effectiveness and the efficiency of our proposed method.
Keywordspatent novelty patent association comparative novelty rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Mahdabi, P., Andersson, L., Keikha, M., et al.: Automatic Refinement of Patent Queries using Concept Importance Predictors. In: SIGIR, pp. 505–514 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Takaki, T., Fujii, A., Ishikawa, T.: Associative Document Retrieval by Query Subtopic Analysis and its Application to Invalidity Patent Search. In: CIKM, pp. 399–405 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Fujii, A.: Enhancing Patent Retrieval by Citation Analysis. In: SIGIR, pp. 793–794 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, Y., Shawe-Taylor, J.: Advanced Learning Algorithms for Cross-Language Patent Retrieval and Classification. IP&M 43(5), 1183–1199 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Li, Y., Shawe-Taylor, J.: Using KCCA for Japanese–English cross-language information retrieval and document classification. JIIS 27(2), 117–133 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Hasan, M.A., Spangler, W.S., Griffin, T., et al.: COA-Finding Novel Patents through Text Analysis. In: KDD, pp. 1175–1184 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.ACM SIGIR 2000 workshop on patent retrieval (2000), http://www.aueb.gr/conferences/sigir-2000/English/workshop.htm
- 13.ACL-2003 Workshop on Patent Corpus Processing (2003), http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu/acl2003/
- 15.USPTO, http://www.uspto.gov/
- 17.Han, J., Kamber, M.: Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques (2006)Google Scholar